Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not all who wander are lost.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not all who wander are lost.......
    Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:55am
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:34pm
Yulp this is a good heavy duty product which I installed in my dodge in the past.  Unfortunately in my case it did not solve my trucks wandering problem.  Like the guy in the video I replaced all front suspension joints with Moog problem solver components including changing out the tierod/drag link to the  new T-link design. Even went out and bought new tires, front brake calipers, rubber brake lines, rotors still same problem.

Trucks been in 3 alignment shops and I just recently got under the truck and adjusted the lower control arm caster adjustment from about 5.5 on D.S. and 4.5 P.S. to min I could get just to see if trucks handling would change.  Mind you I'm using an angle finder setting on top of knuckle next to upper ball joint to measure angle. Well trucks handling improved a little but still not right. Strange thing is when I rotated the bolts in the lower links towards the axle (shorting the effective length of the lower links) the caster should have decreased as measured at both front knuckles. Well the driver side did as it went from ~5.5 deg to 3.0 deg however the passenger side stayed about the same at 4.5 deg.  How can this be as it is a big beefy solid axle?

I know a couple of Ford guys that tell me I can fix the problem by buying a new Ford diesel.....I'm looking around at them now!

Don 
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
jpwrangler View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Past President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:56pm
I have been trying to figure out what to do about my play in the steering and how it is wearing out my front tires.  i was just going to get a new steering box installed, but sounds like I would end up with the same problem if I dont do this fix too.
95 YJ, SOA, Tera 4:1 kit, SYE, ARBs, 4.56, York onboard air, Warn 9500, 36" IROK SS, Chromoly axles, Hi9 rear, Teraflex hi steer

2022 Ram 2500 CTD, 4X4

Paul
Club Past President
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 1:49pm
I know JKs have an issue where the factory bolts are undersized for the lower control arm and track bar bushings and axle ears, plus they are full threaded and wear out the bushing linings. Soon after I got mine I spent the $40 on the Northridge grade 8 bolt kit, which are shoulder bolts that properly fit the holes. Hopefully it prevents any issues.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by dontoy dontoy wrote:

Yulp this is a good heavy duty product which I installed in my dodge in the past.  Unfortunately in my case it did not solve my trucks wandering problem.  Like the guy in the video I replaced all front suspension joints with Moog problem solver components including changing out the tierod/drag link to the  new T-link design. Even went out and bought new tires, front brake calipers, rubber brake lines, rotors still same problem.

Trucks been in 3 alignment shops and I just recently got under the truck and adjusted the lower control arm caster adjustment from about 5.5 on D.S. and 4.5 P.S. to min I could get just to see if trucks handling would change.  Mind you I'm using an angle finder setting on top of knuckle next to upper ball joint to measure angle. Well trucks handling improved a little but still not right. Strange thing is when I rotated the bolts in the lower links towards the axle (shorting the effective length of the lower links) the caster should have decreased as measured at both front knuckles. Well the driver side did as it went from ~5.5 deg to 3.0 deg however the passenger side stayed about the same at 4.5 deg.  How can this be as it is a big beefy solid axle?

I know a couple of Ford guys that tell me I can fix the problem by buying a new Ford diesel.....I'm looking around at them now!

Don 

That just leaves steering box or driver.   
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:24pm
I guess you've tried getting under the truck and have someone slowly rock the wheel back and forth just enough to load the steering while you look closely at each steeringng component for play.

Edited by 98TJ - 09 October 2017 at 2:27pm
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:04am
I need to have the wife or son move the wheel back and forth while I watch as I have not done that.

Also not mentioned in my above post was that I have changed out the track bar bushings two different times. First with Moog's then with ones that were designed using higher density material.

Steering box feels like it is tight but maybe it can bypass/leak fluid without me giving any input causing slight random steering input?

The second alignment shop removed some of the control arms and told me they were ok but I have not looked myself.

Don
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:39pm
Have you ever adjusted the adjuster Allen screw on your steering box?
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 9:09am
I have not since the box feels right. Maybe I should mark where it is and then try adjusting in both directions and see how it feels.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 9:29am
I would advise AGAINST adjusting that bolt.  90% of the time I have tried it, it didn't help or it made it worse.  You can actually destroy the steering box if you adjust it too tight.

Note:  the box is designed so that the gears are tightest when the tires are pointed straight ahead and much looser when they are turned either direction.  So, if you do try it, make sure the tires are point straight ahead when you do it.

DO NOT turn the wheels all the way to one side to make it easier to get access to the steering box and then tighten the adjuster.  If you do that, the gears will be way too tight when you straighten the wheels back up and probably damage the box/gears/etc.  Don't ask me how I know this.  Unhappy
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 10:29am
We adjust them regularly. Follow correct procedure and it's perfectly fine. I'd definitely adjust the steering box correctly if fighting a wandering issue and I found play in the box.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:36pm
Another problem that causes wandering...

Sloppy shackles and bushings.  I installed new ones on the 4rnr, and now I can drive Slaughter rd in one lane.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:17pm
Well after owning my Dodge 2500 for about 6 years during which I have been unsuccessful at getting it not to wander.

I replaced these parts:

With THESE parts:

and what do you know I think I fixed it Tongue

Bring on the big load....this truck has the capacity to tow both my trailers loaded at the same time...X2.

Brad hurry up and get yours so you can lay hands on it and explain this FORD stuff to me.  I'm lost at the air to liquid intercooler!!!

Don 
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:57pm
Traitor Big smile
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:50am
Steve I know........the Dodge was so much simpler under the hood. My dad never bought anything but Fords his whole life. Maybe he is looking down with a smile now. Hopefully this will be the last fullsize truck that I will need.
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 9:34am
I was going to say that was quite the upgrade, but given its a ford, i can't say that. Mopar or no car!

But seriously, the capability difference there is massive. Time for bigger toys!
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:51am
Be carefull; you ain't used to Ford Power yet!!!!!
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 12:30pm
I think Don is going to get lost inside that cab!
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:58pm
I need to borrow that truck to haul a load of pea gravel saturday.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:11pm
Hmmm, there may be some truth to the old joke that a Dodge pickup is just a shipping crate for a Cummins 12V engine...
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 7:37pm
Funny guys!

Brad you have to get in line my wife's sister said she needed it to haul a load of manure!
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:21pm
Thass purdy.  I like it!
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
broncomike View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 9:19am
I like it but I'd hate to see the sticker!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic