Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer/Car Hauler Purchase Advice Sought

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer/Car Hauler Purchase Advice Sought
    Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:02pm
I'm looking to purchase a utility trailer/car hauler; largest expected items to be hauled are the '84 Toyota pickup and a John Deere model 850 tractor, with say the disk or bushhog attached.  I'm thinking brakes are a must, and a co-worker is recommending going with Lawrimore at Falkville.  Any recommendations on must have features, or local dealers to use or avoid?  Thanks
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:21pm
Get:
Brakes on both axles
Easy lube axles
Consider 5,000 lb axles
Larimore makes great trailers but they also make low end trailers, know which one you are looking at. Don got a good one (on edit, Don's is a Lone Wolf), Cole got a low end model.
Think about 2" vs 2-5/16" ball
Don't get a trailer too short

Edited by 98TJ - 04 June 2018 at 7:32pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:14pm
I've had good luck with Lone Wolf trailers, they're just down the street from Lawrimore. I would definitely get a dovetail trailer and foldup ramps.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:04pm
If you can, get 16" wheels. The 235/80r16 trailer tires seem to hold up much better than the smaller ones. Definitely get trailer brakes and 5200 lb axles or 7000 lb axles. It's not that you need to haul that much weight, they just hold up better for long trips. The trailers built on top of those axles will be built heavier duty to be able to haul the rated weight. I have a 16' trailer on 3500 lb axles. Its not built heavy enough for daily use with a 3000 lb load.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:48am
I wouldn't go  to either Lawrimore or Lone Wolf.  I went to both when I was looking, and neither one seemed to give a damn about whether I got a trailer or not.  I bought elsewhere.

Remember Al Dolney?  He bought a Lawrimore.  It hauled horrible the first time - bone-jarring ride in the truck.  We inspected closely and discovered they had put either the wrong springs or shackles or axles or something on it and when we loaded his 4Rnr on the trailer, the frame simply rested on the axles.  He had to take the trailer back and have the frame fixed (it had damaged the frame) and both axles replaced.  Don't know what else they did to make it right.

I have heard good and bad about Rocket City trailers.

I have never heard anything bad about P&J, but they are ex$pen$ive.  Big Tex seems to have a good rep also.

Make damned sure they paint the underside - most dont.  They look fantastic but underneath are rusted before you leave the lot.  They will actually stain your driveway.

I think regardless of which one you get, you need to inspect it very closely.  I concur w/ Brad's suggestions about the brakes and axles.  I also suggest dont get a dovetail (it just makes the ass end of the trailer scrape where it wouldn't otherwise, and you dont need it for an offroad vehicle or a tractor) and dont get the fastened ramps, they rattle like all hell, get the ones that slide under the trailer.  If you get a flatbed, be sure to get stake pockets so you can haul a load of dirt etc.  Get D-Ring tiedowns welded on, get a/l 2 front and 2 back, more is better.

Edited by alabamatoy - 04 June 2018 at 8:53am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:31pm
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 5:44pm
Thanks for all the pointers.  I figured the easy lube axles were desired, but didn't think about going big on the axles/wheels.  Brad, I could not get the Hardline link to work.  I tried searching on Hardline already, but the hits were from 2008-2012, nothing recent.  Maybe my search skills are lacking...  I'm also considering the trade-offs regarding renting; but U Haul asks so many crazy questions I just gave up last time I was considering renting.  Me and the sales rep kind of got off on the wrong foot when I told him in no uncertain terms there is no such thing as a 2WD 1985 4Runner, no matter what his computer screen says...  
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:11pm
Randy,
My 18' car hauler was built by LoneWolf. I had it over built for what I need for the same reasons others said above. My old trailer, which I bought new was a 7k rated trailer and the only thing I ever carried on it was my 85 toy and then buggy. Yet I bent an axle. Load rating does not take into account dynamic loads that happen when towing on rough roads. I also had constant problems with tires on that trailer.
My current 18' car hauler has 6k Dexter easy lube axles. Brakes on both axles, 6" channel frame and tongue. Longer tongue to allow room for tool box. 3" channel crossmembers on 24" centers. I had them put all wiring run in conduit under (not through) crossmembers.
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:15pm
I think the link will work later.  I believe the site is down for maintenance.

The gist of the thread was Big Tex is having quality issues.  Someone posted a photo of his whole pintle hook hitch plate coming off.  The weld had not penetrated at all.

I was originally going to buy a Big Tex trailer but could never find one at a reasonable price.  I ended up buy a PJ trailer from the guy in Fayetteville.

PJ has a really cool buggy hauler trailer with checker plate drive over fenders.  Its available with the 5,200 lb axles.  That's what I would buy if had to replace the one I have.  Probably get a dove tail with rear slide in ramps.  That's assuming the dove tail did not hang too low.  Like Doc said, some dove tails hang so low that you can grade your driveway with it.  Cole's Larimore dove tail drags on everything.
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:28pm
Randy,
My 18' car hauler was built by LoneWolf. I had it over built for what I need for the same reasons others said above. My old trailer, which I bought new was a 7k rated trailer and the only thing I ever carried on it was my 85 toy and then buggy. Yet I bent an axle. Load rating does not take into account dynamic loads that happen when towing on rough roads. I also had constant problems with tires on that trailer.
My current 18' car hauler has 6k Dexter easy lube axles. Brakes on both axles, 6" channel frame and tongue. Longer tongue to allow room for tool box. 3" channel crossmembers on 24" centers. I had them put all wiring run in conduit under (not through) crossmembers. Old trailer had large torched cut holes through crossmembers. Current trailer has Heavy duty 7k rated drop leg jack mounted far forward again to allow room for box, 2 5/6" 14k lb rated ball coupler. 4 D rings and stake pockets with rub rails.

Edited by dontoy - 04 June 2018 at 7:32pm
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:33pm
Dang, I thought your trailer was a Larimore.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:37pm
I tried to rent a uhaul enclosed trailer.  They would not rent me one with two axles because I was going to pull it with a 4 cyl 1986 4-Runner.  Had to have a v6 to rent two axle trailer.
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:20pm
Uhaul would not rent me a 10k lb rated trailer back when I had my 1996 Dodge Diesel because they claimed it was not rated to pull one. I went down the road to an equipment rental place and rented one no problem.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:36am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

I tried to rent a uhaul enclosed trailer.  They would not rent me one with two axles because I was going to pull it with a 4 cyl 1986 4-Runner.  Had to have a v6 to rent two axle trailer.

I pulled the 12' UHaul (that was the biggest enclosed they offered at the time) with my 4Runner from Maryland to Chattanooga when we moved back in 87.  It was painfully slow, but the 22RE did it.  The trailer had all the stuff that the Army moving company wouldnt take, motorcycles, table saws, lumber, tools etc etc.  But I digress, sorry.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
broncomike View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:07pm
I delivered a forklift to a trailer manufacturing place in Tanner had a hard time finding somebody to understand English
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:40pm
I am about to list my trailer up for sale. Its a GatorMade 20' tandem axle car hauler in excellent shape.

Let me know if you are interested...I have been using it for my Unlimited 4-door Jeep, but now need to haul two jeeps and looking for 30' gooseneck, nothing is wrong with my trailer.
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 2:49pm
I've been real happy with a utility trailer that I purchased from Lone Wolf years ago.
Haul a 4wheeler around on it for mapping jobs.
Tows great.
Main thing I liked about it was the rear ramp design and the diamond tread fenders that you can stand on and have small steps incorporated into them on the front and back side.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Marine Marine wrote:

I am about to list my trailer up for sale. Its a GatorMade 20' tandem axle car hauler in excellent shape.

Let me know if you are interested...I have been using it for my Unlimited 4-door Jeep, but now need to haul two jeeps and looking for 30' gooseneck, nothing is wrong with my trailer.

I'm certainly interested in taking a look at it, just let me know when would be a good time for me to swing by to look at it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic