Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easter ride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:05pm
The guy who told me about it was headed from the powerlines to go off Bingham and came upon the accident somewhere in between. He said the boy was on the back of an ATV with his grandfather. This is terrible. I can't imagine losing a child.

Edited by bluetoy - 11 April 2009 at 3:05pm
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
a-line View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:27pm
 I heard it was about a quarter of a mile from Moon cemertary.
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:43pm
wow. that is sad!

was it crowded?
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
a-line View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by browning67 browning67 wrote:

wow. that is sad!

was it crowded?
 More ATVs than rigs that i saw around noon at the power lines.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 5:27pm
Yep, lots of ATV's there this year.  Also a lot of kids and families there too.  They all were a pretty well behaved bunch.  I saw lots of people having fun and I didn't see anyone acting stupid.  Actually saw some kids with trash bags picking up trash at the powerlines.  When we came back through the powerlines right at dark, just about everyone had left and the place was pretty clean. I think there was more people there last year; but the weather was a lot better last year.  We had a great time and saw several folks we know; damn shame about the young boy.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
bigboy70 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboy70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 2:47am
 as of last nite he wasn't dead. Lack of pupals to indicate probibility of him being brain-dead though.
"98 Blazer MPI 4.3/TH-350/NP203(Twin-Sticked) 10 Bolt/12-Bolt Rollin' on 37"s
jhall01 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhall01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 4:12am
gotta go up there unfortunatly here in a few to drag a buddys truck off...  I hate coalmine.

Sad news bout the kid,
Cj-7 Ls-1=465=205=tons=44s
Affordable Appliance Repair 256 533 9435
JEEPGOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEEPGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 6:43am
thats the only time u go up there JR  2 scared to ride hahaCry
yea though t rockcrawl through the valley of the shadow of death i will fear no trail, for thou art modified; thy rig and thy lockers they comfort me!!!! 1 B.A.M.F.
Jeepin93 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 3:49pm
I found out the kid is on life support and will be taken off tomorrow.
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 4:55pm
What exactly happened?
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
SHARK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHARK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 1:51am
I've heard several stories.  The most common one was the 4-wheeler just rolled.  Could have happened to anyone.  I don't like to think how many times I've pulled a front tire off the ground taking a turn to fast on mine.
I'll take the dirt road, it's all I know.
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 2:16am
If the kid wasn't wearing a helmet, the parents should be shot!!
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:07am
Originally posted by 50Willys 50Willys wrote:

I'm sure their pain is much worse than being shot right now and it's a pain they will have to live with the rest of their lives.  My heart goes out to them, regardless of how the accident happened...
Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:10am

Very sensitive post Bob.

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
spoiltmommie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoiltmommie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:45am
Here is the deal with the little boy who got injured.  My husband is a Woodville fireman and we were up there with our 2 year old son.  We were in a truck and they were a few vehicles back from us.  As we were all coming down around 3pm about a mile before you get to the Moon Cemetary there as a curve that was rutted and sloshy and everyone was climbing the left bank to keep out of the ruts when the grandfather did this the 4-wheeler tipped foward and went over on top of the little boys head.  When the call came out from 911 we were already at the last hill going down.  My husband took the paramedic up and the boy had already lost about 2 pints of blood.  They think he was already brain dead from the impact on his skull.  He was unresponsive and also had possible spinal injuries.  They landed air-evac and lifted him the Huntsville Hospital where the family had to make the decision on Sunday to take him off life support because he was showing no signs of brain activity during the night.  The child was only 9 years old.  The grandfather is devastated.  The little boys name is (EDITED BY MODERATOR PENDING FORMAL RELEASE IN MEDIA).  Very sad for the family.  I'm sure the grandfather thought nothing of a helmet since they were just going on a slow ride in the woods.  But that is no excuse for not using a helmet on a child.

I made the comment to my husband Saturday of all the 4-wheelers up there and maybe 10% of them had helmets.  Anything can happen to anyone on the at anytime.  Helmets should always be worn.  I did see some very smart parents on a 4-wheeler who had strapped an actual car seat onto the back of the atv and then welded a removable roll cage on the back rack so that if an accident occured the child would be protected.  They even had a helmet on the little girl. 

Edited by cj8lvr - 13 April 2009 at 5:07am
Keri

1990 Jeep YJ
1999 Chevy Tahoo 4x4
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:57am
Agree with Lee Anna. I feel for the parents.

ATV's can be very dangerous yet almost nobody including myself wears a helmet. It's a wonder I never got hurt back when I rode ATV's all the time. We did some stupid stuff, and never wore a helmet. Ironically, most of the ATV accidents I've seen have happened in the most unlikely places instead of on rough terrain.

Clint almost lost his life in an ATV accident when he was 10yrs old. He was hurt very badly and is blind in his left eye because of it. He wasn't doing anything stupid, just a feak accident.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:01am
Originally posted by spoiltmommie spoiltmommie wrote:

Here is the deal with the little boy who got injured.  My husband is a Woodville fireman and we were up there with our 2 year old son.  We were in a truck and they were a few vehicles back from us.  As we were all coming down around 3pm about a mile before you get to the Moon Cemetary there as a curve that was rutted and sloshy and everyone was climbing the left bank to keep out of the ruts when the grandfather did this the 4-wheeler tipped foward and went over on top of the little boys head.  When the call came out from 911 we were already at the last hill going down.  My husband took the paramedic up and the boy had already lost about 2 pints of blood.  They think he was already brain dead from the impact on his skull.  He was unresponsive and also had possible spinal injuries.  They landed air-evac and lifted him the Huntsville Hospital where the family had to make the decision on Sunday to take him off life support because he was showing no signs of brain activity during the night.  The child was only 9 years old.  The grandfather is devastated.  The little boys name is TBD.  Very sad for the family.  I'm sure the grandfather thought nothing of a helmet since they were just going on a slow ride in the woods.  But that is no excuse for not using a helmet on a child.

I made the comment to my husband Saturday of all the 4-wheelers up there and maybe 10% of them had helmets.  Anything can happen to anyone on the at anytime.  Helmets should always be worn.  I did see some very smart parents on a 4-wheeler who had strapped an actual car seat onto the back of the atv and then welded a removable roll cage on the back rack so that if an accident occured the child would be protected.  They even had a helmet on the little girl. 

Has the victim's name been released by the press?

I ask because a google search nor a search on the AL.com Hsv Slime's site show any results of that name. 

If not, then it shouldn't be here either.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Al Al wrote:

Has the victim's name been released by the press?

I ask because a google search nor a search on the AL.com Hsv Slime's site show any results of that name. 

If not, then it shouldn't be here either.

Good call Al.  Since he's so young and it hasn't been released in the local media, let's keep his name out until that has been released, just for the family, etc.

It can be added back later if need be.

Very, very, sad.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:14am
Thanks Jake.

I can't imagine losing Albin or Mary Etta at 9.  Or at any age, for that matter.

I took Albin on a four wheeler once when I was in the Clear Creek hunting club.  We went up some pretty steep hill climbs exploring the place.   There goes I but for the grace of God....Cry
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:23am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Very sensitive post Bob.

It wasn't meant to be sensitive, it was meant to get the point across that the little boys death could have been prevented.  I like everyone else feel for the boy's parents and family.

Edited by 50Willys - 14 April 2009 at 3:04am
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
spoiltmommie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoiltmommie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 2:47am
Childs name has been released in local papers yesterday.  I understand your concern with me posting his name and my apologies if it stepped over any privacy bounds.  Funeral arrangements are being made today and you should be able to find his name in the huntsville times or al.com today or tomorrow.  Very sad time for the family and community for losing such a young life.
Keri

1990 Jeep YJ
1999 Chevy Tahoo 4x4
SHARK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHARK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 4:02am
Will send up prayers for the family.
I'll take the dirt road, it's all I know.
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 2:50am
So incredibly sad:

Brandon K. Venerable

July 24, 1999 - April 13, 2009

Brandon K. Venerable, 9, of Scottsboro died Monday.
Visitation will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. today at Rudder Funeral Home. Services will be conducted at 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home with burial in Gant Cemetery.

Published in The Huntsville Times on 4/15/2009

http://obits.al.com/huntsville/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=126240129

Edited by Al - 16 April 2009 at 2:50am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 5:20pm

My prayers go out to the family of the boy that died.  I couldn't imagine losing my son.

Edited by ncjpr - 16 April 2009 at 5:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic