FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nato Style Jerry Can With A Twist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nato Style Jerry Can With A Twist
    Posted: 09 March 2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Glad to hear you got it worked out. Wedco nozzles will fit the regular nato cans quite well. I have two of them that I've been using. I don't care for the metal nozzles as everyone of them I've tried using has leaked.

Randy, you realize he's in Washington state right?

Uh, no.  I overlooked the location...Embarrassed

Hardbody1, I sent you a PM.

Edited by Toydawg - 09 March 2011 at 10:49am
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:15am
Glad to hear you got it worked out. Wedco nozzles will fit the regular nato cans quite well. I have two of them that I've been using. I don't care for the metal nozzles as everyone of them I've tried using has leaked.

Randy, you realize he's in Washington state right?
Wintermute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by hardbody1 hardbody1 wrote:

If he doesn't take you up on that I'll take them off your hands.

Go for it :).  They're all yours.  I already have 10 of the cans...just need some really well made filler necks for them :D

--Wintermute
"No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 7:35am
If he doesn't take you up on that I'll take them off your hands.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 7:33am
I have nozzles for the standard nato cans.  One is for unleaded fuel (3/4") and the other is standard size (1 1/8"?)  fuel filler necks.  You can have both with their associated 5 gallon fuel (Jerry) cans for $50.
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 5:24am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Welcome. I know how hard they are to find. Making some for "replacement" has crossed my mind but I don't know about the legal issues I might encounter.

Post back and let us know how it went and who you ended up getting them from if you don't mind.

While I'm thinking about it, we have used them now. They work pretty well but don't seem to want to sit down in the cam as far as the standard nato nozzles do. It's kinda like the rubber gasket is just slightly to thick. I've been meaning to get a sheet of thinner rubber to see if it would work better. It has not been a problem so far to use as they are though. I did put a piece of clear vinyl hose over the end of the nozzle which really helps with filling a vehicle. I think I used 3/4" from memory. I had to heat one end of it with a heat gun to get it to slide over the nozzle. So far it has stayed on without anything else holding it on and it doesn't leak. I have a wedco nozzle I did this to about 5 years ago and it's still doing fine. 

Well, got my nozzles in :).  A buddy of mine from the M715zone who lives in Germany was able to order a set from ebay for me and mail them off to the US.  They work perfectly :).  Now all I have to do is find good nozzles for my standard nato cans and I'm all set.  thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.  I wouldn't have been able to find the correct thing to point him to without your help.

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
MACHEN4X4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACHEN4X4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:15am
this is the gas tank and tank bracket i have for sale
Mudlight View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Wintermute Wintermute wrote:

Originally posted by Mudlight Mudlight wrote:

Why not use a funnel, that's what I do.  It is a whole lot cheaper.

Holding a funnel and pouring a can of gas into it at waist height is a pain :)  I also use my gas cans for both my truck and my generator welder.  When filling the truck, not much of an issue, it has a military filler neck (about 5" diameter, so even without the pour spouts, it's not a big deal).  Filling the Trailblazer at 3:00 in the morning when the powers out and I need to add more gas is annoying at best with a funnel instead of a pour spout.

--Wintermute
Works good with a transmission style funnel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Mudlight Mudlight wrote:

Holding a funnel and pouring a can of gas into it at waist height is a pain :)  I also use my gas cans for both my truck and my generator welder.  When filling the truck, not much of an issue, it has a military filler neck (about 5" diameter, so even without the pour spouts, it's not a big deal).  Filling the Trailblazer at 3:00 in the morning when the powers out and I need to add more gas is annoying at best with a funnel instead of a pour spout.

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
MACHEN4X4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACHEN4X4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 6:17am
we run propane so we dont need it
Mudlight View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 5:59am
MACHEN4X4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACHEN4X4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 5:14am
i have 1 of the original military gas cans and nozzle and mounting bracket for sale if any body is interested in it.
$80.00
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 4:54pm
Welcome. I know how hard they are to find. Making some for "replacement" has crossed my mind but I don't know about the legal issues I might encounter.

Post back and let us know how it went and who you ended up getting them from if you don't mind.

While I'm thinking about it, we have used them now. They work pretty well but don't seem to want to sit down in the cam as far as the standard nato nozzles do. It's kinda like the rubber gasket is just slightly to thick. I've been meaning to get a sheet of thinner rubber to see if it would work better. It has not been a problem so far to use as they are though. I did put a piece of clear vinyl hose over the end of the nozzle which really helps with filling a vehicle. I think I used 3/4" from memory. I had to heat one end of it with a heat gun to get it to slide over the nozzle. So far it has stayed on without anything else holding it on and it doesn't leak. I have a wedco nozzle I did this to about 5 years ago and it's still doing fine. 

Edited by 83K10 - 07 December 2010 at 4:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 4:43pm
Awsome!!! Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I have 2 of the wide mouth cans that I have no nozzles for and I have four of the offset smaller mouth cans that I have nozzles for.  Thanks again :D

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 4:41pm
This is not who I bought them from last time. I can't find those guys again now. It took me a while to find this as my german isn't very good at all and the translators don't use ausgieser for some reason which is what the germans use for fuel can spout. This will only fit if you have the wide mouth cans with the neck in the center of the can. If it's offset on only one half as the standard nato cans are, a wedco nozzle will fit.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Ausgieser-20l-Kanister-grose-Offnung-Diesel-Benzin-Ol-/320604186410?pt=Autozubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item4aa57fa72a

http://cgi.ebay.de/Ausgieser-20L-Stahlblech-Kanister-GROSSE-Offnung-NEU-/150505069878?pt=Autozubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item230acd1d36

Edited by 83K10 - 07 December 2010 at 4:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 3:51pm
Do you think you'd still be able to get more of those spouts?  I have two of those cans (they're going on my M715) and I wanted to get spouts that actually fit them :)

thanks in advance.

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:42pm
Clap Well my Jerry Can nozzles finally came in on the slow boat from Germany. John got on German ebay and talked to a guy who had them using a German/English translator. The shipping was astronomical at first, but the guy found a slower boat for me. Here is the picture. He ended up charging me about $20 per nozzle and $24 for shipping, I think. It was 55 Euros, but since the exchange rate fluctuates the price fluctuates as well. He took PayPal, which I felt safe using. He wanted me to wire him money to his bank at first, but I told him I didn't know how to...and I'd rather use PayPal. Seemed to be a really nice guy. I appreciate the time he took to deal with me. I gave the guy who is selling the cans the German guy's contact info. I know the American guy is looking into getting them. The German guy said he would combine the shipping cost on bulk orders.

83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 2:20am
Good to know.

The nato cans were available up to a couple of weeks ago from several different surplus places.
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 2:05am
I personally never seen one that leaked out of the couple hundred I've dealt with.

I dont know all the particulars to that new reg but at the same time overnight every surplus store I know of stop selling fuel cans. Coincidence?

96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 5:30pm
That's good to know about the MFCs. Do they seal well?

Maybe I'm reading what you posted differently but to me it says you can't make and sell new ones.
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Originally posted by RL-RRC RL-RRC wrote:

I suprised you where even able to get the older steel cans. Since I believe 2008 a federal law took place that put new guidelines on portable fuel containers which pretty much banned all nato type fuel cans.

This is incorrect.  The law that conflicts is not federal, its CARB, and technically Queerlifornia only. 

Oh contraire

The EPA introduced new regulations that are based on requirements started in Califormia by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2000 and updated in 2007. Since 2000, individual states have been slowly following suit, but the new EPA regulations will bring all states in line and by January 1, 2009 all new PFCs (portable fuel container) produced and sold in the United States will be compliant.
    The regulations impose:
  • A single, self venting opening for filling and pouring with no separate vents or openings
  • A treated can body for minimal permeation of fuels
  • Automatic closure, meaning a nozzle which automatically springs to the closed position when not pouring
  • Childproof features as designated by the Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act

This is why you dont see any of the suplus fuel cans for sale any more and the scepter can gets by some of those requirements by being considered a industrial can so it only needs to meet the DOT reg 49 CFR, Part 178.600.

96 Lexus lx450
02 Jeep WJ

RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 3:06pm
The Scepter plastic MFC are tough as nails, many moons ago while I was in the army I ran three over with the front tire in the dark during blackout ops under night vision with a m936 5 ton truck. They were full of diesel and really did no damage to them.

Also it is most definately illegal to transport fuel in a non-dot marked or approved container. The container has to conform to ASTM F852-99 and 49 CFR, Part 178.600. I'm not trying to bust anyone just letting you know. I've never personally heard of anyone getting stopped for this though.

I think those are good cans that will serve you well, just go get a big flex spout funnel and call it goodThumbs Up
96 Lexus lx450
02 Jeep WJ

78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

I wouldnt buy the metal ones....they rust, dent, etc.

John has Jerry Cans date stamped from 1944ish time (don't remember the exact year) that are still good. No rust and no major dents...but to each his own.

Edited by 78CJChic - 31 August 2010 at 2:20pm
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 7:50am
A package from 5kg-10kg costs 50Euro,
                 from 10-20kg  costs 70Euro.
Here's the shipping cost. That's about $64/90 for just shipping. So one nozzle would be $84.
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 7:26am
I've found a german guy selling the spouts but of course he is in germany. He wants 15.90 EUR for them which is about $20. He has a bunch of them so if others want them we could go in on shipping. I've got an inquiry about shipping cost and I'm waiting to hear back from him. These cans are lined like the fuel cans I have. Anybody fluent in german? I'm having some problems talking to him as I know very little german. The other option for a spout is me just machining some. It's not a circle or square so it will be hard to do with manual machinery. I have a feeling these may not pour as well being that they don't have a vent tube in them. I haven't tried the new plastic cans but I have used older cans. I have yet to see one that sealed well and didn't drip fuel while using it. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 5:55am
Have you found a spout option for them? I saw them on ebay and was interested because they were half the price but I haven't been able to find a spout anywhere for them.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 5:53am
I wouldnt buy the metal ones....they rust, dent, etc.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 5:47am
They aren't water cans. I ran across two guys on a forum discussing this same idea, and the purchaser emailed the company who provided them. The company said that they aren't water cans, but a different style gas can that the germans stopped producing in the early 2000s. You can tell that they are gas cans, because the gas cans have that orange liner...all the ones I have seen have anyways. You can get the Nato Style Jerry cans if you are in the right place at the right time or you are willing to pay out the nose. That's why I jumped on these when I got the opportunity. They have stopped production of these style cans, because of the new Federal Mandate...but they are not illegal to buy or use as far as I know. They are no different than any other non-carb compliant gas can except that they are awsome for off-road use.

Edited by 78CJChic - 31 August 2010 at 5:50am
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 5:44am
Originally posted by RL-RRC RL-RRC wrote:

I suprised you where even able to get the older steel cans. Since I believe 2008 a federal law took place that put new guidelines on portable fuel containers which pretty much banned all nato type fuel cans.

This is incorrect.  The law that conflicts is not federal, its CARB, and technically Queerlifornia only.  I contacted a vendor that sells MFCs to confirm.  See http://bottomline2000.com/fuelcanistersceptermililtary.aspx  They wrote back to me the following:

You can purchase the MFC's in your state just submit the order online and we will process.  Thank you for checking with us on your order and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Michelle Wicke

Office Manager

Bottom Line Military Sales, LLC

864-850-7779(office]

864-850-8896{fax}

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 4:37am

X3 on the Jerry can being a water can, but I'm more familiar with the U.S. stuff. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic