Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new fj80 owner need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moloss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new fj80 owner need advice
    Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:29am
Well as some of y'all know i sold the cj last year, well its been replaced with a 93 fj80, being its 24yrs old and not knowing much about (got a shop manual) them i was wondering if any of y'all had any known things i need to check? I've been on ihatemud and reading but i guess i was hoping some toyota guys would speak up and tell me some things (thinking especially the axles and tcase) thanks Chris
1986 CJ7 not stock

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."

Robert E. Lee
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:45am
Chris,

Glad to see you with a 'new' rig. I'd definitely change all the fluids if you don't know exactly when they were last done. If you're wanting to wheel it in the rocks, sliders and diff armor are a really good idea. We've been making armor for the 9.5" rear land cruiser axle. We also have 8" front armor but I have to bend the bottom piece differently for these as the profile of the housing is different. There's a bunch of upgraded axle shafts, gears, and lockers available for these. Was there something specific you were looking for information on?

John
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 11:13am
replace the alternator brushes.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
moloss View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moloss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 12:19pm
Just wanting to make sure that i cover my basics to make sure it's reliable, was gonna crawl under it today or next weekend and examine things closer....wasn't sure if there were things that were more likly to cause problems or might need extra attention
1986 CJ7 not stock

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."

Robert E. Lee
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 4:51pm
Check the knuckle balls on the front to see if the inner axle seal is leaking gear oil.
moloss View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moloss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 7:18pm
Thank y'all for suggestions, will check it out soon....thanks again
1986 CJ7 not stock

Robert E. Lee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic