Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Right to repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right to repair
    Posted: 23 January 2017 at 6:14pm
From Slashdot today:
Automakers are using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to shut down tools used by car mechanics -- but three states are trying to stop them. An anonymous reader quotes IFixIt.Org: in 2014, Ford sued Autel for making a tool that diagnoses car trouble and tells you what part fixes it. Autel decrypted a list of Ford car parts, which wound up in their diagnostic tool. Ford claimed that the parts list was protected under copyright (even though data isn't creative work) -- and cracking the encryption violated the DMCA. The case is still making its way through the courts. But this much is clear: Ford didn't like Autel's competing tool, and they don't mind wielding the DMCA to shut the company down...

Thankfully, voters are stepping up to protect American jobs. Just last week, at the behest of constituents, three states -- Nebraska, Minnesota, and New York -- introduced Right to Repair legislation (more states will follow). These 'Fair Repair' laws would require manufacturers to provide service information and sell repair parts to owners and independent repair shops.

Activist groups like the EFF and Repair.org want to "ensure that repair people aren't marked as criminals under the DMCA," according to the site, arguing that we're heading towards a future with many more gadgets to fix. "But we'll have to fix copyright law first."
Alabama needs to get on board with this!!!

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 4:42pm
this problem had to be tackled at some point.  needing Chrysler's proprietary scan tool to purge my ABS pump is a pain.  Sure non dealers can get it, at the tune of over $10k plus the yearly subscription.  Just not feasible for small shops much less individuals.  I've been looking at getting an Autel device that can diagnose everything, because now we are up to needing to read codes from engine, trans (can be integrated with engine), ABS, SRS (airbag), and communications (interior controls).
I hate the idea of more regulation/law, but like the article says, we have to fix copyright law first.  Should have never been a problem in the first place.  I guess I can get happy with this setting things back to the way they should have been all along.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 11:31pm
And this is yet another reason I have no computer in my daily driver, and don't want one.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 7:39am
An update.... apparently the US Copyright Office agrees with us.

Thursday, the US Copyright Office said it's tired of having to deal with the same issues every three years; it should be legal to repair the things you buy—everything you buy—forever.

"The growing demand for relief under section 1201 has coincided with a general understanding that bona fide repair and maintenance activities are typically noninfringing," the report stated. "Repair activities are often protected from infringement claims by multiple copyright law provisions."

"The Office recommends against limiting an exemption to specific technologies or devices, such as motor vehicles, as any statutory language would likely be soon outpaced by technology," it continued.

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 8:21am
Hard to believe, but it sounds like someone has some common sense.
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

Hard to believe, but it sounds like someone has some common sense.

Amazing! A rare display of common sense by a legislative body!
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic