Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Flag - POLL!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flag - POLL!!
    Posted: 23 June 2015 at 12:39pm
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 2:41pm

I’ve have a US flag and a Confederate flag hanging on the wall of my shop for many years. But I think it's probably time for the Confederate flag to come down from the state/county/city government buildings like the Capitol Building.

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 5:06am
To me, the confederate flag is not about racism. That's what misguided people use it for, but that's not what it embodies. The confederate flag represents the South standing for what they believed in...State's rights...limiting the federal government. I think if the Confederate flag offends you...you should get over it or move North.

When whites kill blacks, it's always a national headline. However, if blacks kill whites, no one seems to care. I wish we could all just be people. I group people in two groups...worthless people who don't contribute and just want a handout and people who are productive members of society. Race has nothing to do with it. People kill people. It's something we see in society all the time...in all societies all over the world.

Why would we remove the Confederate Flag from public places and still hang them in the privacy of our own homes if it isn't something dirty that needs to be hidden. People were enslaved all over the world. It wasn't just a black and white issue. Why are we still hung up on it? I think it's time to let it go. It was awful, but it's over...at least in the US. However, women and children are still being sold into slavery (sex slaves). However, we hear less outcry about the current atrocities like this than we do about racism. That's just how I feel about it.     
muddin'metal View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddin'metal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 6:16am
More people were enslaved under the American flag than ever were under the Confederacy... People forget that America was built by tyrants & slave owners just like the Confederacy... There is no shame in people standing up against a too strict government... If you don't believe that we may as well burn the Bill of Rights immediately
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 7:21am
I agree that the confederate flag should be viewed as a reminder of state's rights.... that we fought and lost but made a heck of a point.  If some person or group adopts it as a symbol of hate or whatever cause, that is their business and I can't control that.  If they adopt the US flag as their symbol, are we going to abandon that?  Negative.

But given the confederate government no longer stands, I'm not sure it still has a place flying with flags that do represent current entities in service.  Certainly put it in memorial or for historical reflection somewhere on the grounds, if nothing but to remind the feds that we will do it again if necessary, and probably for the same reason.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 10:46am
Originally posted by BlackBird BlackBird wrote:

But given the confederate government no longer stands, I'm not sure it still has a place flying with flags that do represent current entities in service.  

To me, the biggest impediment to defending flying of the 'Confederate Flag' as the historical symbol of the Confederacy is the fact that the flag they are referring to never was the 'Confederate Flag'.  The red St. Andrew's cross flag so many refer to as the 'Confederate flag' is actually a post-war representation of the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.  It never was the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It never flew over the Confederate capital at Richmond (much less Montgomery) as the 'Confederate flag'.  And while I'm on a rant, the ANV battle flag was ALWAYS square, never rectangular.  The rectangular flag is a post war invention.

Flying the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and calling it the 'Confederate Flag' is analogous to flying the standard of the SS Leibstandarte or 6th Panzer Army and calling them the flag of the German Third Reich.  Ummm, no. 
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

Originally posted by BlackBird BlackBird wrote:

But given the confederate government no longer stands, I'm not sure it still has a place flying with flags that do represent current entities in service.  

To me, the biggest impediment to defending flying of the 'Confederate Flag' as the historical symbol of the Confederacy is the fact that the flag they are referring to never was the 'Confederate Flag'.  The red St. Andrew's cross flag so many refer to as the 'Confederate flag' is actually a post-war representation of the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.  It never was the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It never flew over the Confederate capital at Richmond (much less Montgomery) as the 'Confederate flag'.  And while I'm on a rant, the ANV battle flag was ALWAYS square, never rectangular.  The rectangular flag is a post war invention.

Flying the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and calling it the 'Confederate Flag' is analogous to flying the standard of the SS Leibstandarte or 6th Panzer Army and calling them the flag of the German Third Reich.  Ummm, no. 

All the above is true.
This is the reason the "unofficial" flag should not be displayed on any government building/property.

Edited by NOT4HWY - 24 June 2015 at 2:27pm
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

Hanging in my home office:

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 12:24am
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:32am
Yes. I know what the Alabama flag is. Madison Academy use to fly it underneath the American Flag when I went there at it's original location. The Cross with 13 Stars was the Confederate Battle Flag. It was adopted as the battle flag after Confederate troops had friendly fire incidents, because the Confederate flag (3 strips and 7 stars) was too similar to the original American flag. This entire movement still goes beyond ridiculous. Now, the government is debating to remove confederate monuments. It's stupid how much time and money we waste on being "politically correct" and not offending everyone. You aren't going to make everyone happy, so let's just put it to a vote already and let the masses speak.

http://www.usflag.org/confederate.stars.and.bars.html

This sums it up...

Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-Nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the confederacy only exacerbate the lies which link the succession to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights.

Of course...this may all change...Since everyone is removing it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:59am
<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="/5thbrigadegascv/videos/vb.633847010064147/803990329716480/?type=1"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="/5thbrigadegascv/videos/803990329716480/"><a href="/5thbrigadegascv/videos/803990329716480/"></a><p>A little fun to start off the week. Here is the video of Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam where Bugs Bunny visits Dixie.</p>Posted by <a href="5th'>https://www.facebook.com/5thbrigadegascv">5th Brigade, GA Division SCV</a> on Sunday, April 12, 2015</blockquote></div></div>
Well this is supposed to be an embedded video...does not seem to work. Here is the link...

Edited by OleYeller - 01 July 2015 at 2:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic