Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 link info needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 link info needed.
    Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:33pm
Hey guys, I thought I would try to pick your brains for some info. Looking into 4 link suspension for a solid axel swap on 2000 chevy silverado.  I have a dana 60 front out of a late 90s dodge 2500. Mostly trying to find directions for parts and info. Layman terms would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
Mike
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 9:02am
That's something I'm afraid there won't be too many members here with experience in.  That's a fairly complex project I'd imagine.  John G. might have some ideas or maybe Mo.  Both of those guys get on here rather infrequently.

You might want to post that over on Hardline. 
There's a section on their forum for "Tech & Fab"
See what those guys might could recommend.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Tex62 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 9:35am
Thanks man. Was worth a shot anyway. I am sitting on that dana 60 front and 70 rear for awhile now. Trying to find something to do with them.
Mike
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 12:17pm
What exactly are you trying to figure out? 

I will say that I really like using a johnny joint at the axle end and a solid hiem joint at the vehicle end. It really cancels a lot of the road vibration and noise. I usually use 1.25" shank joints for the lowers and 1.0" for the uppers. I like 2.0" 0.250 wall dom for the lowers and 1.75" for the uppers. The uppers don't need to be .250 wall as they aren't going to be knocked on rocks, etc. I have also made aluminum links from 7075 2" bar. The nice thing about them is they can just be solid and thread the ends on a lathe. No welding skills required for the aluminum links. If welding them in on steel links, I like to plug weld on 4 sides them as well as welding the end. Do not attempt this with a 110V mig welder. They do not have enough power. 
Ace View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 1:21pm
Your welcome to see my set up. It is Dana60’s front and rear. 83K10, who posted above, did mine. It works great. 
03 Rubicon,6.1 Hemi,37" BFG Krawlers, custom suspension by Griffin Specialty Industries
Tex62 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 9:18pm
Sorry didn't see the updates. I was trying to look into the cost and or companies that might sell universal 4 link kits or just what recommended. 
Mike
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 5:44pm
The only thing universal about the 4 links are normally the end links(ie johnny joints or heims), tubing, threaded inserts, and some of the axle mounts/trusses. Beyond that all the link lengths, crossmembers and mounting brackets are usually fairly custom. What works on one won't work on another due to different configurations and other parts in the way. When I have done them in the past it usually ends up around $2500-4000 in parts alone and that's with me doing quite a bit of fabrication and welding work. Plus you now have to run coil overs or coil springs of some sort. The coil springs are hard to package most of the time in a full bodied rig. If you do run coils, now you need upper and lower coil buckets at each corner plus some sort of bump stop and limit straps. The steering will of course have to be overhauled as well. In the front you will need a track bar if running a 3 link. You will want this unless you go full hydro you'll end up having a bunch of bump steer. If not full hydro, ram assist is pretty necessary for a full sized rig on larger than 36" tires. Trying to turn the larger tires with the weight of a full sized rig doesn't work well using only the steering box. As you can see, it snowballs quickly into a much larger project.
Tex62 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:05pm
Very good point. Thanks John. I guess it doesn't hurt to let them sit under the tarp awhile longer haha.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic