Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AOCmobile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOCmobile
    Posted: 05 March 2020 at 2:32pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 1:23pm
8k Dollars. Taking advantage of the oldies. 
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 1:38pm
Oldies?  10 years from now that's all y'all will be drivng
Tongue
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Oldies?  10 years from now that's all y'all will be drivng
Tongue

Oops, I meant experienced humans. 
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:30pm
Im starting to look for an air-cooled Porsche 911 with a trashed engine.  EVWest is doing electric conversions of ICE vehicles for about the same price as a modern Porsche air-cooled 6 rebuild.  The result is a car with a lot more power in many cases.  As I understand it, their base motor is something like 175 ft lbs torque and 150+ miles range.

The whole electric car thing is real, and its not going away.  As car guys, we should be embracing the new technology, not crying over the passing of technology that's going the way of carburetors, drum brakes, radial tires, floor-mounted high beam switches.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

........ and 150+ miles range.

So, I couldn't drive to B'ham and back or even make it one way to Gulf Shores.  Electric cars are nothing new, they have been around since shortly after the Civil War, but never caught on due to their inherent  limitations.  They have solved some problems associated with them, but they will never solve the range issue.  So they will remain a solution for some folks who commute short distances to work, but never a solution for people like us who drive long distances, haul heavy loads or tow heavy trailers.

Hey, I remember the 3 slot car tracks in Huntsville back in the late 60's.  They worked pretty good for that.  Smile
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 6:52am

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

........ and 150+ miles range.

So, I couldn't drive to B'ham and back or even make it one way to Gulf Shores.  .... They have solved some problems associated with them, but they will never solve the range issue.  Smile

Well, people are driving all over the country in Teslas with their "supercharge" capability.  A fill up takes an hour or less.  Plug up, then go pee, get a cup of coffee, check email, scratch yer ass a time or two and get back on the road.  There are others coming.  The range issue WILL be solved through similar charging tech or through modular batteries. 

The reality is here.  We need to get on board with it.  I for one dont want to be the guy saying that those infernal automobiles will NEVER replace the horse.

Also, if you want extended range, its very possible in a bigger vehicle which is not intended to be a commuter type vehicle.  The problem is the expense of the batteries.  For a $18K conversion on a smaller car like a VW bug or Karmann Ghia, $10K-$12K is for batteries.  And they are heavy, and take up lots of space.  So converting a larger vehicle like a 4Runner or Blazer could result in a much higher range than 200 miles, but you lose storage space and gain a lot of weight.  And the second and third order issues, like how the battery materials all come from 3rd world places with horrible despots getting insanely rich off the minerals while grinding the populace underfoot, and we are enabling that.

Think about what car tech was a mere 50 years ago - 1970.  Virtually no EFI, few OH cams, few disc brakes, no ABS, no traction control, many cars that got 6-8MPG (couldn't drive to Gulf Shores in that without stopping), tires that would last 20000 miles at best, and they generally splattered their occupants brains and guts in all but the lowest speed accidents.  And most rarely made it to 100K miles without major repairs. 

What will the next 10 years bring?

BRC Life Member
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:28am
The entire issue with electric is not having a standardized modular battery configuration. If electric stations were available and you dropped off your battery and drove away with another, electric would take off and sell like crazy. 
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:10am
Nobody wants a vehicle that you have to stop every 2 hrs and charge it for an hour.  I would have to stop 22 times to recharge to get to Yellowstone.  Short commuter car; yes.  Normal car/truck, nope.  And the 150 mile range number they quote is for a new battery.  A year later you would be lucky to make it to Greenbrier and back.  Most of them teslars are being made/sold in communist china becuase they don't have any petroleum reserves or any freedom to buy what they want.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 4:33pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by NOT4HWY NOT4HWY wrote:

The entire issue with electric is not having a standardized modular battery configuration. If electric stations were available and you dropped off your battery and drove away with another, electric would take off and sell like crazy. 

The problem with that is that battery module would be worth about $12K under current prices.  But you have a good point.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 10:34am

A year later you would be lucky to make it to Greenbrier and back. 
  Got any stats on that?  Seriously, Im interested.  The Electrified Garage is working on Teslas with well over 100K on them and they see very little degradation in range.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2020 at 10:48am

Most of them teslars are being made/sold in communist china becuase they don't have any petroleum reserves or any freedom to buy what they want.

Actually, there are only a few Tesla plants, one in Freemont Ca, and one for batteries in Reno, Nv (as of 2016).  I know they are considering other locations (one in Germany for example, and a final assembly plant in Netherlands).  Musk said in 2016 that he believed he could build 1 million vehicles out of just these 2 plants.
In response to a question on the March quarter results conference call about Tesla manufacturing one million cars in 2020 (the new goal after raising it from 500,000 per year) Elon Musk “Well, I think it is actually feasible, maybe not advisable, but feasible to do it with just Fremont and the Gigafactory. We actually believe that Fremont and the Gigafactory could scale to a million vehicles. Whether that's actually wise is a separate question, and as I said earlier, it's going to make sense to do localized production at least on a continent basis.”
The Gigafactory is in fact in China, but it produced its first cars just back in December 2019.  So it will be quite a while before "most" Teslas are built in China.

And just because its made in USA no longer means anything.  Teslas have a horrible fitment reputation.  Their doors and windows leak, door handles dont work, stuff is misaligned or not fastened properly etc on delivery.  Kari and I researched Teslas extensively and decided against one for this reason and because of their draconian repair policies, and because there is no dealer local to either Huntsville or Chattanooga.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2020 at 3:43pm
All them street legal golf carts is teslas to me and china has more of them than anyone.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic