Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good automotive machine shop in Huntsville

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luther Grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good automotive machine shop in Huntsville
    Posted: 24 January 2013 at 7:53am
What are peoples best experience with Automotive Machine shops in Huntsville? I live in Decatur and the machine shop I used to go to closed down. I have gotten Huntsville Engines to do minor things but no major engine machining. Can't say that I was awful impressed but maybe it is because they were smaller jobs.
highspeed View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 10:36am
There are a few good ones, but they are all hit and miss. That being said, Pruitt Radiator and Auto Repair have two guys that do machine work in the back. I have seen them work first-hand many times and in my honest opinion these guys do great work on just about anything......and they are reasonably priced as we.......and these guys have been around for a long long time.
01 XJ- long arm, locked, armored , winched
muddin'metal View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddin'metal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 11:20am
Huntsville engines has been really unreliable every since they changed owners in the late 90s. R&R is the ONLY shop I trust. One call on the phone and you'll see what I mean.http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama/business-reviews/auto-perform-race-and-sport-equipment/r-and-r-speed-and-machine-shop-in-huntsville-al-900
highspeed View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by muddin'metal muddin'metal wrote:

Huntsville engines has been really unreliable every since they changed owners in the late 90s. R&R is the ONLY shop I trust. One call on the phone and you'll see what I mean.http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama/business-reviews/auto-perform-race-and-sport-equipment/r-and-r-speed-and-machine-shop-in-huntsville-al-900

I forgot about those guys, also a good choice.

01 XJ- long arm, locked, armored , winched
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 3:03pm
There is Holt's in Hartselle and a guy out on Modus Road, can't remember his name but he does good work. I can get his name if you like. He actually sleeved one of the cylinders in my sons 3.4 v6 with no problems after 40,000 miles.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 4:42pm
We won't use Huntsville engines after they screwed up and refused to make it right. They also jacked the price up $50 on me over what was quoted after they screwed up my part. I won't ever set foot in their door again in my life.

R and R seems to do decent work but they have some management problems. They kept a part of mine for two weeks and then gave it back to me saying they weren't able to do what they said they could when I dropped off the part.

Ray at Southern Marine and Automotive does really really good work from my experience. He's in Guntersville but I'm glad to make the drive to have it done right without any BS. He may not be the cheapest but you have to pay for good work sometimes. He is also very knowledgeable on engine building and doesn't seem to mind answering a question. His number is 256-582-4112.
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 5:01pm
I used the Carquest auto parts in Decatur for my machine work.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Alexia View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:12am
Southern Cylinder Head did all the work on my 4.0L block for converting it to a 4.7L stroker.
https://plus.google.com/111988544010554751387/about?gl=us&hl=en

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:27am
I have used both southern cylinder head and R&R, and had no complaints with either one.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 3:32am
I have a friend that lost a motor due to Southern Cylinder head. He had them put new valve seats in the heads of his LT1 while they were rebuilding them. They fell out under use in a very short period of time.  
Luther Grimace View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luther Grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 6:19pm
I used to use Carquest in Decatur and Bill did great work. I hate he left. Now they don't have anyone there.

My experiences with Huntsville Engines have been on a BBC head cutting the valve guides for dual valve springs seals and I got them to machine a flywheel to accept a upgraded pilot bearing. They seemed ok but one of the valve guides was cut like they had messed up and cut too much and then the pilot bearing fell out of the whole so apparently the bore was not a good interference fit. Its the little things that count especially when your paying good money.

My old boss had experience with Holt in Hartselle years ago when he did machine work on a 383 vortec build and he seemed ok. He ended up having a piston slap problem but I think that was caused by the short Mahle pistons he was using and not the machining. And Holt made it right so you have to give them credit for doing good business.

Check out the bottom of this page to see the burnt piston I have in my cummins.

I checked with Southern Cylinder Heads yesterday about doing machine work on my 5.9 Cummins and he said he would call me back with pricing. He called me today and was quoting me parts and labor on a 5.9 V8. I thought it was strange that the block machine work went up 50% when he found out I had a Cummins I6 instead of the V8. I know the Cummins is big but it is only a 4 inch bore. Seems like the price should have atleast stayed the same since there are 2 less holes to bore?

I think I will give these others a call. Thanks for all yalls experience and opinions. I know these shops do alot of business so I know its hard to completely satisfy every customer. Its great to hear first hand experiences of shops in our area.

Thanks,
Will
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic