Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stone Lonesome Death

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stone Lonesome Death
    Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:41pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:03am
I feel for the family and friends of the lost young lady but why in the world will people not wear seatbelts!
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 11:44am
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 2:29pm
http://www.wdrb.com/story/10067813/ky-teen-dies-in-atv-accident

I can remember when 3-wheelers got band.  I don't remember any where near this many people getting killed on 3-wheelers.

Edited by 98TJ - 27 February 2018 at 2:33pm
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

I can remember when 3-wheelers got band.  I don't remember any where near this many people getting killed on 3-wheelers.

An interesting observation....but I suspect some of that is because back when 3 wheelers were banned (circa what 1990? 95?) we had no real awareness of what went on in remote corners of Kentucky and Alabama and God-forsaken places like California.  We barely knew when someone got killed on an ATV in Madison County.

I had a 200cc Honda 3 wheeler.  It was an unforgiving steed.  The kickstarter rotated forward, not backward like a dirbike.  If it ever slipped from under your foot, or heaven forbid the engine kicked back, the starter lever would whack you in the shin so hard your not-yet-conceived children would cry out.  And of course these things were famous for trying to climb the backs of your ankles, both at once was judged the best form, and as it did it would crush your <bleeps> against the gas tank.  Tears and blood were shed.  I got rid of it.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 9:23pm
Can't ban drunks, so lets ban coolers instead.  Coolers don't kill people, drunks do.
NOTICE:  During the regularly scheduled meeting of the #CullmanCounty Commission on February 27, 2018, certain updates were made to the rules and regulations of the Stony Lonesome OHV Park. Effective immediately, all park patrons must stop at the designated entrance to the trails. During this stop, a park employee will be checking to make sure that the rider’s vehicle is equipped with a safety harness for all passengers, and that the safety harness is being utilized by all passengers. Additionally, the Commission has banned all coolers from the trail area of the Park.
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 6:54am
Wonder if they are going to extend that to camelbaks as well?

They didn't have an alcohol problem when they first opened. They had some sheriffs deputies on site that would take folks to jail over it if they were causing a problem.
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 8:47am
Been awhile since I was last at Stoney but to me they have an inforcement issue, the people running it where not out and about making there presence know so people knew they could act a fool on the trails. They should have a stricted policy if your caught with alcohol or failing to use safety equipment that your banned for a year minimum. It really sad just how uneducated and ignorant some people are. I honestly see offroading becoming almost extinct in 20 years east of the mississippi if we cant change this good ole boy drink it up, tear it up mentality.
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 8:58am
John and I attended a hill climb where we overheard a guy complaining that he just got out of jail for consuming alcohol at Stony Lonesome. He said if he was caught again that he would be permanently banned from the park...from what I remember. Stony Lonesome use to be a lot stricter on their rules. I wish they would go back to having officers patrol the main roads randomly and arresting people who are caught with alcohol. If you are at Stony Lonesome, you are in a State Park and subject to search at any time. I just hope that it doesn't get shut down.

This is the problem with our over legislated country. People just get dumber and dumber. I'm sorry someone lost their life, but sometimes this is how natural selection works. People who make bad choices often pay for it with their lives. It is a law to wear your seat belt when it should be common sense.  
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 9:00am

Ryan, I agree 100%. 
We should not allow 5% of our sport to destroy it for the other 95%.

Edited by 98TJ - 28 February 2018 at 6:54pm
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:32pm
I don't see how they can realistically expect to ban all coolers from the park during July and August.
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 6:24pm
They are not banning coolers from the park, just on the trails from what I understand.

Among the new rules are:
- No coolers on the trails
- Required safety harnesses and seat belts
- Stricter wristband policy
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 8:33pm
When the park was under way, there was discussion about having a "Trail Patrol" where volunteers (say RCRC members) could patrol the trails and keep an eye on things. Unfortunately I think personalities and politics got in the way of alot of what we were hoping to do with the park. There was a huge change in management a few years after opening. It had good and bad effects. New park manager was an OK person, but not receptive to alot of what we had originally wanted. He is the one who changed to switchbacks trial from a rock crawl over some huge rocks to a straight hill climb because he felt our trial was too hard after flipping his dozer and wanted something "anyone could ride".
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by unlblkrubi unlblkrubi wrote:

They are not banning coolers from the park, just on the trails from what I understand.

Among the new rules are:
- Required safety harnesses and seat belts
- Stricter wristband policy

1.  So you have to go to the parking lot every time you want a drink of water or a coke.  That's crazy during the hot summers here.
2.  Fixes nothing.  Those that want to drink beer will just tank up before hitting the trail.  

Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 6:08am
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 12:36pm
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:38pm
I'm glad common sense has prevailed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic