Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford will halt all production of F-150

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford will halt all production of F-150
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:08pm
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:30am
Same plant fire is causing problems for Mercedes. I wouldn't doubt others will join the list.
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:43am
Contingency Planning is good business...but most organizations don't do much of it.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:25am
Thats too bad. Allot of people will be hurting from this.

1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:01am
Dang that is bad news for a lot of workers.

Brad you may have had your Superduty built just in time. Article mentions no displays for Superduty as well.
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:25am
Go buy a Ram and avoid this while getting the Cummins :-)
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:17am
good old just in time manufacturing
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Marine Marine wrote:

I agree.

This is the problem of single source supply. It has benefits of cost and consistency, but you lose the redundancy. It's also bad for the supplier having only one facility to do the work. Again, all about the dollar.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:44am

A Fiat?  I dunno...  But it *would* mean you can get a stick if you want it behind the Cummins.  Ford hasn't offered a stick in several years in their Powerstrokes.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

A Fiat?  I dunno...  But it *would* mean you can get a stick if you want it behind the Cummins.  Ford hasn't offered a stick in several years in their Powerstrokes.

Yep, the 2006 F350 I just sold had a stick.  Don't think they built sticks very long after that.

I thought about getting a Ram/Cummins just to get another stick.  But its my understanding that they de-tune that Cummins in a very big way when connected to a manual tranny.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Yep, the 2006 F350 I just sold had a stick.  Don't think they built sticks very long after that.

I thought about getting a Ram/Cummins just to get another stick.  But its my understanding that they de-tune that Cummins in a very big way when connected to a manual tranny.

This is correct, the engine is de-tuned to around 600ft-lbs instead of 900. Not sure if the clutch or the tranny can handle the torque, but you have to get auto for the power.

Because of this I own an automatic...
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:24pm
You may have been the person who told me.  It was somebody at the Aetna ride.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

But its my understanding that they de-tune that Cummins in a very big way when connected to a manual tranny.

Yes, just like Ford detunes your Powerstroke in the first 3 gears to prevent the Mt Everest-moving torque that it produces from simply lighting the tires.  I can't find it right now, but I believe it was the Car and Driver test of the early 2018 Powerstroke where I read this.  The first 3 gears of high-range and over 900FtLb of Powerstroke torque equals lots of tire smoke and not much else.  I think it limits to something like half max output, but Im not certain of that.

BRC Life Member
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:03pm
That is true about the powerstroke. It is de-tuned until 4th gear I believe.

1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:08pm
It was me.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:22pm
When Ford stopped the production of the manny tranny here in the US (I think you can still get 'em overseas) it was because no one wanted it.  They were selling something like 2% of the PSDs with a manual transmission.

I just dont understand why, other than the fact that their shift pattern SUX and its a very difficult trans to master shifting.  The Dodge shifts very nicely by comparison.

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:04am
I did not know Output was being limited in first three gears in the Powerstroke. That would explain why my 2017 F350 feels a little sluggish on the skinny pedal compaired to my old 2006 Dodge 2500. Both had auto trans but I had the Dodge turned up with a Bully Dog tuner. Dodge had ATS torque converter and valve body. So while the 5.9 Cummings programming was telling the engine to get it. The Power Stroke's saying take it easy!
6.7 Power Stroke does great at highway speeds pulling my camper up mountains etc while holding speed.

Thanks for the info Doc I was thinking the difference between my Dodge and Ford was strictly due to tuner on Dodge.....but now I know "the rest of the story".

Edited by dontoy - 11 May 2018 at 8:18am
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:42pm
get the HO Cummins with Aisin and don't worry about it! Too bad you can't get it in the 2500. I assume it needs the bigger gears in the rear end of the 3500.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:34am
I found a Q / A thread on the 2017 Ford Power Stroke that explains the torque limits in lower gears. As stated above torque is limited in first three gears for single rear tire trucks however it's only limited in first gear for dual rear tire trucks.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by dontoy dontoy wrote:

I found a Q / A thread on the 2017 Ford Power Stroke that explains the torque limits in lower gears. As stated above torque is limited in first three gears for single rear tire trucks however it's only limited in first gear for dual rear tire trucks.

As well it should be.  No transmission on earth can with stand the POWERSTROKE!!!!!

Now, you need to stay off that Bully Dog web site get those ideas of chipping that new Ford out of your head right now!  Tongue Tongue Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic