FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota steering question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota steering question
    Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:28am
Nick, I think every few years I ask you the same questions and then forget that I did!

I know exactly what you do.  Someone used to make a similar arm for the land cruiser solid axle.

Thanks!
1984 4runner
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:25pm
I don’t have anything on my phone. I will try to take some pictures this weekend. 
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:30pm
Nick, 

Your setup seems to work really well. At some point I want to do this as well as my 4runner still has push pull steering. Do you have any good pictures of your setup? I've looked at it on your rig but its been a long time. It would probably help Mark to see exactly what you have as well.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 7:19pm
I have been running the stock steering arms machined to accept a 5/8” bolt for a tie rod with 3/4” x 5/8” heim joints instead of the tapered rod ends. I run the drag link above the springs by building a “Y” arm for the passenger side out of two stock steering arms. I have ran this setup on every rig I’ve built in the past 10 years. Sounds hacked up, but I have had zero failures with this setup. Can’t say the same for aftermarket high steer. I could never keep the studs from coming loose. 
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:08am
I have my 4runner at the height I like it, just high enough to fit 35" tires.  But it's low enough that my high steer kit hits the oil pan - specifically the tie rod.  I think there are two options I think I would like, but I'm open to other thoughts. 

I think Nick B has suggested going low steer by replacing the lower knuckle caps with factory steering caps.  This is probably the easy button.

Another option would be to move the tie rod to the bottom of the high steer arms.  I like this option better, but it would require either new arms or inserts made to flip the taper to the bottom of the arm, as well as needing to swap from leafs to links (which I am interested in doing).

thoughts?
1984 4runner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic