Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at gear for a 4WD Nissan Frontier SE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Buck Boarder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at gear for a 4WD Nissan Frontier SE
    Posted: 04 April 2021 at 8:35pm
I found a Smittybilt 2781 on sale for $150 on Amazon a couple months ago, so I snapped that up.  And so far it seems to work great.  That 45-amp draw means it definitely works best with the truck running, and the thing is surprisingly heavy!  Hopefully that means robust, reliable construction.

It does create one puzzling issue: when I tried it out the first couple times, it seemed to trigger some strange behavior in my truck's electrical components.  My front driver's side window temporarily stopped working, then the second time, my front passenger side door temporarily wouldn't latch.  According to my Haynes manual, there are circuit breakers built into these devices that will temporarily disable these electrical devices if overloaded.  Is there a way to connect this compressor that will avoid this issue?  My first tests, I just connected the clamps to the battery terminals, red-to-red and black-to-black.  But there is some sort of fuse system on the red terminal along with a braided ribbon cable.  I hadn't seen this kind of assembly before.

Suggestions?
"Always... no, wait a minute... Never..."
- Steve Martin
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 6:01pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 5:15pm
Yes, we are using webex for meetings right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Newks will resume in January. Right now we are virtual.

Virtual?  As in online meetings via an app like Zoom or something?
- Steve Martin
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2020 at 7:19pm
Newks will resume in January. Right now we are virtual.
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2020 at 7:18pm
I have a viair 400p that I've used for years to air up my 4runner tires. Its been airing up 36s for quite a while. It does well. Takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to air them up.

As for sliders, I've built enough sets that I've lost count. We can build you whatever you want if the off the shelf won't work.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Buck Boarder Buck Boarder wrote:

Any recommendations on a good mid-range portable air compressor?  I've been looking at Smittybilt 2781 and ARB compressors -- a bit pricey, but a good, solid 5.7cfm compressor seems like a good investment.  Recommendations?  Any brands I should look into?

Viair.  I plan to get this one.  I have a CO2 tank, and used to have onboard air but lost it when I swapped the I4 for a V6.  The CO2 tank is wonderful, but its getting hard to find places to refill it, and it seems to run out at inopportune times.  The compressed gas places dont want to refill, they want to just swap out, and give me some nasty-looking banged up thing in place of my nice looking silver tank.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2020 at 12:55pm
Hi!  I'm new to the RCRC Forum...

I bought a 2007 Nissan Frontier SE 4WD Crew Cab last spring, and am thinking about gearing it up for overlanding and light-to-moderate trailriding.  With it's long wheelbase and lack of a rear differential locker, I don't anticipate ever attempting any really hard-core obstacle-crawling with it, but it should be a good ride for overlanding.

So, a preliminary question:  Are you all still meeting at Newk's on the first Thursday of the month, or is the COVID thing putting a cramp on that?

So, on to more fun stuff...

Any recommendations on a good mid-range portable air compressor?  I've been looking at Smittybilt 2781 and ARB compressors -- a bit pricey, but a good, solid 5.7cfm compressor seems like a good investment.  Recommendations?  Any brands I should look into?

Next would be some mods to make the truck more trail-worthy, such as slider bars, higher-clearance bumpers (such as Shrockworks' handiwork, which look like they would offer some very helpful improvements to approach and departure angles), and skid plates.  Any best buys to recommend, or pitfalls to be concerned about?  (For example, the Shrockworks slider bars have a note saying they require a 2-inch body lift to clear space on the frame rails.)

- Steve Martin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic