Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I wrecked my 45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked my 45
    Posted: 11 February 2011 at 3:49pm
I have been having an armadillo problem in my yard, tearing my new sod up. Easy to chase but hard to trap. I have chased two back to their holes and killed with cabon monoxide, but this last one has been elusive. I have seen him 3 times in two weeks but I am always unarmed. Tonight I walked out back with my 45acp and cought him digging in my sod. I blinded him with a flashlight and got within 10ft of him and fired, the shot sounded like a wet firecracker and the amadillo ran around the barn. I figured it a dud and rechambered easily. I caught him again in my barn under my 62 Nova and fired again from about 4ft away. I did not realize the first shot left the bullet lodged about 3/4 down the pipe. The second shot blew the barrel and slide apart, pieces of the gun actually hit the armadillo. He ran to a corner wall bleeding and I ran to the house to get my 22 rifle, returned and ended him. I am pretty disgusted. This is a Detonics CombatMaster 45ACP, excellent pistol but I had crap ammo. Hopefully I can rebuild the top end but I am thinking this pistol is a total loss.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:14pm
That is a real shame.  But be thankfull you still have both eyes and all your fingers.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:21pm
Man that sucks. What kind of ammo was it? Think if that had happened when you were shooting at something more than an armadillo.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 7:30pm
Was it federal or something made by them? They just put out a recall for mischarged ammo.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:21am

Wolf brand ammo. I know, not the best but I have shot wolf brand for 20 years and never had a problem. I have probably fired a million rounds in my life and never had a bullet lodge in any barrel. The bad round didn't destroy my pistol, the second round did. I should have stopped and investigated more. When I ejected the bad round I assumed the bullet went with it. It was dark and I was in pursuit.

Like you said John, good thing this was only an armadillo. Some times you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 1:01am
Where did you buy the ammo?  I would contact whoever you bought the ammo from.  If nothing else, you may get a couple boxes of new ammo.

Wolf has a pretty good rep, but....crap, I have about 1500 rds of Wolf in my safe.  Hmmmm..
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 1:09am
I've had problems with gun oil leaching into the ammo if I use too much oil and/or leave the same ammo in the gun too long.  The oil will leach into the primer and the powder.  It has always been the round that was left in the chamber that malfunctioned. 

I went shooting with a guy from work a few years back.  He had one of those Makarov pistols that they were selling soo cheap back then.  He kept that pistol in the glove box of his Honda with one in the chamber.  On his first shot, the pistol just kinda made a PUFF sound and you could actually see the bullet come out of the barrel and hit it the dirt and bounce.  The rounds in the mag functioned properly.

I have a Beretta 40 cal that I keep loaded.  Occasionaly I ratchet the round out of the chamber and throw it away.

This may not have been your problem, but its something to think about.

Edited by 98TJ - 12 February 2011 at 1:16am
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 1:54am

Do gun manufacturers plan for this sort of (ammo + user) failure in their design?

3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:30am
I think if you are properly maintaining a firearm, you should be able to store a round in its chamber forever without affecting that round.  If there's enough oil in there to foul the round, you are putting waaaay too much oil on the machine.  But that's just personal opinion, and I personally never store a round in the chamber of my semi-auto handguns.

I dont think any handgun manufacturer can design for a plugged barrel.  They probably test that way, and do some level of destructive testing.  But just looking at the thickness of the barrels of common, modern semi-autos, I cant see how you can design for this failure mode and still produce an affordable and lightweight firearm.

I have never experienced anything like this with a rifle or handgun, but I did personally experience it with a shotgun.  I blew the forward barrel mount completely off a gas-operated Ithaca semi-auto shotgun when I was a youngster.  It was my own fault, though, resulting from poor practices when reloading my shotgun shells.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 3:30am

Oil leaching into a round stored in the chamber of an auto is a very common problem.  It really doesn't take much oil.  It depends on the type of oil, the ammo, the temperature, the time of storage, the gun and probably a lot of other things.

The type of ammo makes a big difference.  Military ammo is sealed at both ends; at the primer and at the neck.  Usually with a special crimp and/or lacquer.  A lot of commercial ammo has no seal; some have a lacquer seal at the primer and some do have the military type crimp.  I used to reload a lot of .223.  I could really tell which brass was military brass due to the way the primer was crimped in.  I had a special RCBS tool to remove the military primer crimp so it was easier to press in the new primer.

Edited by 98TJ - 12 February 2011 at 3:31am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 1:13pm
Had a very similar thing happen with Wolf Ammo to my friend's AR15 at the range last year. Luckily, we checked and realized it had lodged in the barrel before firing another round. The brass also moved far enough into the star chamber that we had to take it back to his house to get it out. Fun times. I definitely don't recommend the stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 12:44am
Sorry to hear about this and I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

"the shot sounded like a wet firecracker"

Any time you get a less than normal action from a firearm you've got to stop and investigate.  Low recoil, lower than normal noise, failure to cycle the action - these are all indictators that something didn't happen properly and that you likely have a bullet lodged in the barrel.

stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 1:16am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

That is a real shame.  But be thankfull you still have both eyes and all your fingers.

X2
I've had one serious failure in a semi-auto pistol that required about an hour to clear. Fortunately the round did not fully eject so I couldn't fire another.
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 1:23am
I know some of that Russian ammo uses steel cases.  I would never run steel cases through a gun I owned.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 6:11am
I saw this once with a 10-22 were the ammo had gotten wet. Luckily it was a .22 because the guy wound up with 2 bullets lodged about 1/2 an inch from each end of the barrel but it didn't explode the barrel. Was a nightmare to get them out though.
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:07am
Damn, Pat! That sucks! I'm glad you came off unscathed, it could have been much worse. Obviously you'll have to replace the slide, and everything in it. You may be able to build off of the lower, as long as none of the internals were damaged.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Mudlight View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 3:04am
Holy Cow!  I have a 1,000 rounds of Wolf 223 ammo.  I might be getting rid of it now! 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 4:49am

I know some of that Russian ammo uses steel cases.  I would never run steel cases through a gun I owned.

Why?

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 4:58am
The only real issue I've seen Wolf ammo is about reloading.  Steel cases don't reload well and most folks won't even attempt it.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 5:26am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Why?

Lots of reasons.  Just google: "steel case ammo bad" and you will see some folks opinions on the subject.  Some people don't have a problem with steel case ammo; I am a dinosaur who thinks ammo brass should be brass and trucks should have stick shifts.  I'm too old to change now.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 6:03am

I'm too old to change now.
Depends?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 6:17am

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Why?

Lots of reasons.  Just google: "steel case ammo bad" and you will see some folks opinions on the subject.  Some people don't have a problem with steel case ammo; I am a dinosaur who thinks ammo brass should be brass and trucks should have stick shifts.  I'm too old to change now.

I dont totally disagree, was just wondering if there was a solid physical reason.  I knew about the reloading issue.  I have fired a LOT of steelcase ammo, especially in the 9mm and .40 calibers.  I've never had any issue.  I recently split a case of 1000rds of .223 (brass case) with a friend of mine, and we had to send them back.  The loads were too light to operate the action on my AR15 reliably.  So my recent experience arguably has been brass is bad, steel is good.

Originally posted by mdmTJ mdmTJ wrote:

Depends?

LOL

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 6:36am

Depends?

On what?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 6:46am

Depends?

On what?
Nothing.  I guess if you really look at it, even with Depends you still have to change or be changed.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 7:53am

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic