Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Club Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any trail rides easy enough for a stock Jeep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any trail rides easy enough for a stock Jeep?
    Posted: 19 February 2015 at 6:59am
I've recently purchased a Wrangler Unlimited which has gotten me interested in off roading.  I'm interested in joining your club but before I get too excited, do y'all do any trail rides that are easy enough for a stock Jeep to participate?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 7:01am
What size tires do you have? I've seen stockers take on some pretty tough trails.
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 9:02am
Originally posted by christiansen christiansen wrote:

I've recently purchased a Wrangler Unlimited which has gotten me interested in off roading.  I'm interested in joining your club but before I get too excited, do y'all do any trail rides that are easy enough for a stock Jeep to participate?

Hi.  Our next club meeting is scheduled for March 5th (always the first Thursday night of the month) at Newk's on University Drive.  Dinner (optional) at 5:30, Meeting at 6:30.  You'll be able to talk to members, hear about past and future rides, ask questions, etc.  We'd love to have you visit and learn more about what RCRC has to offer. 

Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by christiansen christiansen wrote:

We will be doing this ride again on 7 March.  All easy trails and you are welcome to go.

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
christiansen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Stickman Stickman wrote:

What size tires do you have? I've seen stockers take on some pretty tough trails.

I still just have the stock tires.

Originally posted by mrs. jpwrangler mrs. jpwrangler wrote:

Hi.  Our next club meeting is scheduled for March 5th (always the first Thursday night of the month) at Newk's on University Drive.  Dinner (optional) at 5:30, Meeting at 6:30.  You'll be able to talk to members, hear about past and future rides, ask questions, etc.  We'd love to have you visit and learn more about what RCRC has to offer. 

I'll be there!

Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

We will be doing this ride again on 7 March.  All easy trails and you are welcome to go.

Thanks but unfortunately I don't have a CB yet and won't be able to get one installed by then.
Ace View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 10:48am
I do not think a CB will be a requirement for that ride.
03 Rubicon,6.1 Hemi,37" BFG Krawlers, custom suspension by Griffin Specialty Industries
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 10:51am
CB's aren't required for riding with us.  They're more of an entertainment thing!  =) 
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 12:51pm
No cb required for this ride.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Mirage775 Mirage775 wrote:

CB's aren't required for riding with us.  They're more of an entertainment thing!  =) 

See http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/about_us.htm and the by-laws state: "7. Electronic communications via CB, ham radio, or cell phone is recommended but
not required, except between the Trail Boss and Tail Gunner." and "11. At the discretion of the Trail Boss, exceptions to these requirements not marked with “no exceptions” may be made for guests, prospective members, etc. Club Members vehicles must meet all these requirements."

So while commo is not a mandatory requirement for new or prospective members, some form of commo is essential.  Its a safety thing, to be able to tell the guy in front of you that he has a huge limb stuck between his axle and a brake line (has happened more than once) or a tire is going flat or his roof is about to lean into that big tree limb etc.  Its not an entertainment thing, although, honestly, the banter among the group *can* be a large part of the fun! 

Many of us have gone as as far as getting a ham license, which now that the morse code requirement is gone, is very easy to do.  This provides for highly reliable communications in remote locations without those 10,000 watt CB yahoos or the lady in Guatemala irritating you.

Thus endeth the sermon.....

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 2:59am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Originally posted by Mirage775 Mirage775 wrote:

See http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/about_us.htm and the by-laws state: "7. Electronic communications via CB, ham radio, or cell phone is recommended but
not required, except between the Trail Boss and Tail Gunner." and "11. At the discretion of the Trail Boss, exceptions to these requirements not marked with “no exceptions” may be made for guests, prospective members, etc. Club Members vehicles must meet all these requirements."

So while commo is not a mandatory requirement for new or prospective members, some form of commo is essential.  Its a safety thing, to be able to tell the guy in front of you that he has a huge limb stuck between his axle and a brake line (has happened more than once) or a tire is going flat or his roof is about to lean into that big tree limb etc.  Its not an entertainment thing, although, honestly, the banter among the group *can* be a large part of the fun! 

Many of us have gone as as far as getting a ham license, which now that the morse code requirement is gone, is very easy to do.  This provides for highly reliable communications in remote locations without those 10,000 watt CB yahoos or the lady in Guatemala irritating you.

Thus endeth the sermon.....

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 12:54pm
In addition to what doc said; if you don't have cb on trail rides, you miss out of information, communication and discussion.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 1:32pm
Just to update, I have one, but the first ride, I went on with yall, I wasn't sure if I would've had my first one installed by then or not.  I was told in the January meeting, before the ride, it wasn't required, but like everyone said, you'll miss out on all sorts of stuff.

Suggestion to yall without CB's:  Don't buy a super cheap Walmart one, like I originally did.  It was garbage.  Brian, one of the other members here, told me what to buy.  I ordered everything from Amazon, for less than $100 and the tail light mount from Teraflex for $30ish.  Hooked it all up, made sure I had great grounds, wired it straight to the battery and it works super better than the cheap one!  If anyone's interested, I'll link the pieces parts?
tyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 6:25am
Similar boat to the original poster here. This past weekend, I bought a 2000 Wrangler TJ sport from my brother. I'm brand new to off-roading, and the TJ is completely stock. Dana 30 axle, 15" wheels, 31" tires (P21575R15), no lift. I'm open to playing around with modifications at some point, but would like to get my feet wet first.

I'm interested in learning more, and exploring some intro level trails around the area. Any recommendations? The Paint Rock Valley pictures from last year look great!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 7:17am
Originally posted by tyler tyler wrote:

Similar boat to the original poster here. This past weekend, I bought a 2000 Wrangler TJ sport from my brother. I'm brand new to off-roading, and the TJ is completely stock. Dana 30 axle, 15" wheels, 31" tires (P21575R15), no lift. I'm open to playing around with modifications at some point, but would like to get my feet wet first.

I'm interested in learning more, and exploring some intro level trails around the area. Any recommendations? The Paint Rock Valley pictures from last year look great!

Hey Tyler, welcome! I'll pm ya when I get home, if I don't forget... Hard to type on my phone, lol! The ride we went on a couple if weeks ago was an easy ride for a stock Jeep. I'll help ya out with mod stuff too. Be warned though! It's very addictive and expensive at the same time =)

Edited by Mirage775 - 16 March 2015 at 7:25am
tyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 7:45am
Thank you sir! Looking forward to it.
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 9:18am
I had previously posted about the CB as well.  I've got FRS/GMRS, which according the about us page is acceptable (although I'm now getting parts in to add CB).  The bylaws appear to allow even no radio for the non-lead/tail participants, but encourages use of CB, HAM, or cell.  Bottom line, I believe that the about us page may need updating to be a bit clearer about expectations and brought in line with the bylaws.

The following items are mandatory for every vehicle, this includes guests!

• Full size spare, jack & lug wrench
  • Roll bar or factory metal cab, seatbelts for all, child's car seat if required by law.
  • Tow hooks front & rear (Trailer balls do not count!)
  • Fire Extinguisher (mounted)
  • C.B. Radio or FRS radio
  • First Aid Kit.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by tyler tyler wrote:

Thank you sir! Looking forward to it.

I have PM'ed you my 5 page essay!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic