Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota Engine Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

I finished welding up those bungs and the rest of the pipes the other night.

I drove it around 83k10's yard yesterday...it moves under it own power for first time since December 2015!

But I *must* get that trash fuel out of the tank.  Nick, where is the fuel pump jumper?  I want to disconnect the fuel line just before the fuel filter and pump all that crap out.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:00pm
Isn't there a drain plug on the bottom of the tank?  both my efi and carb 4runner tanks had one, right in the center.
1984 4runner
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by jarmumd jarmumd wrote:

Isn't there a drain plug on the bottom of the tank?  both my efi and carb 4runner tanks had one, right in the center.
Nick said something about that, but I havent looked.  Mine is so bashed in, I dont know if the drain is usable, but that's on my 2do list for next time out there.

Maybe I need to remove the sending/pump unit, stick a 2X4 down in there and sledgehammer it back into shape.  I've lost about 2 gal of capacity from the dent in the tank.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 1:03pm
This past Saturday, I disconnected the fuel line at the filter, jumpered the fuel pump and ran about 7 gal of putrid fuel out of the tank.  It apparently has some baffles and such in the tank, since letting it sit for a few minutes would produce more fuel, then it would run out again, repeat.  Got as much of the old nasty fuel out as possible, put 5 gal fresh (although NOT sugar-free) gas in.  Loaded the 4Runner into the trailer and dragged it home to Madison.

So she's back in my garage after 15 months.  And John has a whole bunch more room for his own projects....

Got most of the battery mounting/tiedown done.  No more bungee cords!! Wooohooo, I can pass RCRC safety checks now....

Nick, I need your help with those last few connections and the Tachometer, would like to have a functional tachometer.

The interior will start going back in over the next couple weeks.  I hope to have it road/trail ready by end of May.

BRC Life Member
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:16pm
Keep up the good work!
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:52pm
Interior is largely done, but still have to wire up the coms gear (CB and ham radio) and the wonderful trucker fan on the dash.

While the whole dash was out, I replaced the A/C evaporator.  You wouldn't believe what was in there.  I thiought for a minute I had found the ghost of Brutus - there was a slug of doghair in there bigger than some dogs I have known, plus a lot of leaves and other crap.  The new evaporator is sealed up....at some point I will try to reanimate the A/C, but not right now.

The steering is done, and as Nick predicted, it sux.  The newer generation pumps just dont have the moxie that the old ones do.  A new PSC pump is $250, so it will hafta wait.

The exhaust is too loud.  It will do for now, but it sounds like some high-schooler fart-can Honda.

All the electrical is done, except the tachometer, which sux since I bought the Dakota Digital converter, but I can't seem to make it work.  I still have some things to tie down here and there, and I have to seal up the new engine harness where it goes through the firewall.

I still have yet to build a box to protect the ECU, which is right beside the passengers right foot.

I installed a hood scoop today, and cut holes in the hood to let the heat out.  That should help with keeping it cooler.  It runs with the original gauge showing just a wee bit higher than where the 4 cylinder motor usually ran, so I hope that will be OK.  It doesn't seem to creep up in temp at a light or anything like that.

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:15am
Good read Doc thanks for update. I'll look and see how my tack is wired up. I used the Dakota digital converter to condition the GM 6 cylinder signal for the toy 4 cylinder tachometer. Seems like it was not wired per directions to make it work.

Don

Edited by dontoy - 21 May 2017 at 8:19am
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:26am
Doc,

Also if you haven't done it you can remove the rubber seal that seals between the back of the hood and firewall. You can also put a few washers between the hood hinges and hood to lift the back of the hood to let heat out. This helped cool my 6 cylinder back when my ride still had that pesky sheet metal!

Don
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by dontoy dontoy wrote:

Doc,

Also if you haven't done it you can remove the rubber seal that seals between the back of the hood and firewall.

I had not thought of that.

Here's the scoop:

I put a drop-light at the scoop opening so you can see the vents.  I guess I could have had a "shaker" hood.  :-)

I got some rattle-cans of paint mixed to the Toyota original paint code.  At some point I will paint the scoop and some of the other plethora of colors on the truck back to the original color.

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:30am
Doc looks like that scoop should do the job. I did not know you could have rattle can paint custom mixed.

Don
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:36pm
You will have to solder a resistor on the tachometer board before it will work with the Tacoma engine signal. The box you bought just converts a six cylinder signal to a four cylinder signal. I have the resistors and can help if needed.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:15am
[QUOTE=

The exhaust is too loud.  It will do for now, but it sounds like some high-schooler fart-can Honda.

I ended up using a Walker "quite flow" muffler and it has a low keyed rumble to it that I find acceptable.

Edited by J CROSS - 23 May 2017 at 9:19am
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by bluetoy bluetoy wrote:

You will have to solder a resistor on the tachometer board before it will work with the Tacoma engine signal. The box you bought just converts a six cylinder signal to a four cylinder signal. I have the resistors and can help if needed.

I need to know the correct resistor and where it goes.  I researched this and found answers that were all over and didnt really trust what I was finding: solder it here, NO, solder it THERE!  Some people had posted that the 6-cylinder signal is really a 3-cylinder signal since it has 3 coils, wasting a spark on alternating cylinders.  Later versions of the 5VZ (2002-on, I think) have coil-on-plug for all 6 cylinders, whereas mine only has coil on plug for 3, with a plug wire going to the paired cylinder.

I have a fairly high-end soldering station for small work on PCBs.  So I should be able to do it without destroying the board.

Originally posted by J CROSS J CROSS wrote:

I ended up using a Walker "quite flow" muffler and it has a low keyed rumble to it that I find acceptable.

I think mine is a Walker, but I have forgotten.  I'm not going to change the muffler because John did so much stainless TIG welding on it, so I will probably just add another cheapo muffler.  Hopefully 2 in series should quieten 'er down.

BRC Life Member
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Here's the muffler:

Im worried about this muffler being too loud, 

Looks like a Magnaflow (which makes great quality stuff), and you called it. The can just isn't big enough to offer sufficient sound absorption.  
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 1:02pm
I continue to knock items off my 4Runner checklist.  The front DS is shortened and installed.  John's beautiful xfer-case skidplate is installed.  I pulled the rear diff and fixed a prodigious gear oil leak (has nothing to ddo with the swap...)  I found an el-cheapo 12" glasspack muffler for $19 at summitracing that I am going to add to tone down the ricer fart-can sound. 

I drove it to Decatur and back Saturday, no problems.  I'm getting a CEL, but Im pretty certain I know what it is, and I can live with it for the moment, it doesnt put it out of closed loop.  I sat in the Arby's drive-up line for quite a while Saturday (love those orange cream shakes, summer only, I think they have some meth in them or something...) and the engine coolant never got above 204degF, and the temp gauge stays rock solid.  I haven't heard the fan clutch engage yet, I hope it works right.

The intake air temps creep up, so at some point I will build a cold air box for the intake and possibly add louvers to the hood as an air inlet.  I wonder how much difference intake air temps make?  It crept up to around 115degF, but it drops to about 100 once you start moving.  How important is this?

I still havent got the tach working.  Nick, I will need your help with this.

I need a horn - yes, the compressed-air train horn is gone, no onboard air.

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 8:28pm
I know at least one of our toyota parts trucks has a horn on it if you want to go back with a factory one. The air intake temps lower is a good idea but if 115 is the highest you've seen, I wouldn't worry to much about it at the moment. It's not much different than driving on a really hot day in the summertime. It would be a good idea at some point to build an air box.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:30pm
I purchased a nice Hella dual horn from Amazon, and will eventually mount it below/behind the grill.

Jake came over and finish welded a good second muffler and tailpipe on the exhaust, along with two rubber mounts for the muffler.  The truck is now enjoyably quiet.  It still has some of that "ripping canvas" ricer sound to it, but its infinitely more bearable than it was with the single muffler.

I soldered a potentiometer onto my extra tach per this writeup which is supposed to allow adjustment to get the tach showing what the V6 is really doing.

The last major task is the evap emissions.  I am partway through fabbing a bracket for the monstrous evap cannister, which has three separate computer sensors on it.  I am getting a "second trip" P0171 system too lean fault which I believe is from the evap stuff not being connected.  Once this and the tach are working, its pretty much a done project. 

The truck starts nicely, runs cool, and pulls soooo much better than the 4 cylinder....but it hasn't been in the woods yet!  I hope to drive it to the club meeting this week.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 9:10am
Finally got the rig out on the trail on the "Mexican Night Ride" last night.  She performed very well, but I still have some issues.  The power steering, as Nick predicted, is not working very well.  It blows PS fluid all over the place when it gets under load in the rocks, and I cannot tell where its coming from.  The cooling system worked well, she didnt overheat which I was very worried about.  I probably will still look at one of the various 4-row radiators available for this truck to provide some margin for error.

The engine is fantastic.  We did a few steep climbs on the ride last night, and each time it just did its job with no fuss.  "Oh, you need some torque?  Sure, here ya go!  Need more?  There's plenty!"  And it will idle through the slow stuff due to the idle control programming.

I have all the bracketry completed for the mongo monstrous evap box to mount under the hood on the drivers fenderwell.  It may go in today if I have time.  I hope this cures the lingering CEL.

One major design flaw...the Kenwood ham radio selector knob which changes the frequency rides against the gearshift boot when its in 1st gear, and in the rough stuff, the trans is moving around, so it randomly scrolls the ham radio frequency.  Redesign of the console....

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 5:16pm
Evap install, ugly big box:

The finely crafted, uniquely fabricated bracketry:

Lots of ugly hoses and 3 separate electrical connections...but the computer seems to like it.  I drove around today, started it several times and no CELs.  Highly observant and dedicated readers of this thread will quickly point out that I have said this before....

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 11:35am
Nice work Doc....as long as the ECM is 😊 I like the mounts!

Don
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:41am
OK, so I think I can declare this project complete.  I still have some wiring to secure, a fan shroud to build, and a protective enclosure for the ECU, but the swap is essentially complete.  My last biggest hurdle was the power steering.  I finally got a TG pump mounted and a remote reservoir.

Notice the factory Toyota air filter box at lower left below.  $50 on eBay/  It breathes air from inside the right fender, so most of it will come from the passenger door hinge area.  That should mostly eliminate the high intake temps I was seeing with the intake in the engine compartment.

This airbox eliminated the CEL as well.  Apparently my Mass Airflow Sensor mounting and el-cheapo round filter was not to the computer's liking.  The factory airbox has a slight neck-down where the MAS is mounted, which causes an increase in airspeed (same volume / less cross section = higher velocity) which was causing the CEL...that's the only thing I can figure.  This allows me to run the factory air filter which is ubiquitous.

I learned an interesting lesson here related to this CEL.  I kept thinking I had a vaccum leak.  Everyone says spray starter fluid or propane around the area of the intake and when you get close to the vacuum leak, the engine will speed up.  No, doesnt work on engines with an idle control circuit.  I could spray starter fluid directly into the air intake, and the RPMs never budged.  The ECU is controlling the idle...

I have made so many brackets for this project.  I am getting good at making bracketry.  The bracket with the 3 nuts visible at lower left also holds the coolant overflow.  I will need to find a place to mount some kind of a windshield washer tank (alas, another bracket Dead ), as that had to go in order to place the airbox and overflow tank.

BRC Life Member
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 7:46pm
Outstanding job Doc!
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 6:59am
Are words like "ubiquitous" allowed on this site?
Looks great!
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 9:57am
Never underestimate the tenacity of a Yoter owner.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 6:13pm
Nice work Doc. Good to see you made it through this projec.

Don
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 5:57pm
Congrats Doc, in the time you took to re-engine, I re-geared and upgraded brakes.  Life just gets in the way sometimes.
1984 4runner
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 7:35am
The old Yota passed the mandated Hamilton County emission check! Clap  They hold the vehicle to the standards it was required to meet at time of manufacture, and in 86, apparently all that was required is a tailpipe sniff, which we passed.

The newer cars get something connected in place of the gas filler cap, and an electrical connection to the OBD-II port.  They also run a mirror under the car.  They did this on my F250, which is a diesel.  I asked the tester lady why she did that, and she said it was too look for a catalyst.  I told her, "You arent going to find a catalyst on this one, its a diesel!"  Whatever, bloody bureaucrats.  The whole test takes 10-15 minutes, but I had to wait for about 45 minutes each time due to people ahead of me.

Hamilton Co and the state are considering legislation to end the emissions testing, but a/o today it has not been approved, so we are having to run all our cars through the testing.

BRC Life Member
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:13am
Thumbs Up Clap
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic