Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on 4-Runner build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 545cubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on 4-Runner build
    Posted: 03 March 2019 at 3:40pm
Hello All -

I am needing some advice on a 4 runner build and some of the upgrades that I want done here in Huntsville. Long story short, I am switching out our 98 4-Runner with another one since its too rusted and not worth the repair. My wife wont get rid of the rust bucket that sits in our driveway, as her recently deceased father gave it to her (sentimental), so I am going to swap it out with another one exactly like it.

So this is what I am wanting to do and attached some photos of the look I am wanting.

First and foremost looking for a shop that can media blast (dustless) any rust on the undercarriage and possibly coat / treat the underside to prevent future rusting 

I do like the ARB Brand but not too sure what else is out there as far as a solid brand / product and solid quality front bumper
 - 2.5 - 3.0 inch lift
 - wheels and tires - assuming 33's

I am looking for a reputable shop that can do all of this or the majority and would really appreciate any advice or pointing me in the right direction

FYI...Unable to upload photos currently
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 5:05pm
Bumpers, lift, tires should be all do-it-yourself jobs, but perhaps you just dont want to take that on.  Lifting the IFS trucks is expensive if done right, but its all pretty much bolt-on, with alignment and such afterwards.  The problems come from the driveline angles, half-shaft angles, and the rack-and-pinion steering which all combine to make the lift design very complex.

The rust is another story altogether.  Sometimes the rust can be repaired, and other times its just not worth it.  The Tacomas and 4Runners all had some susceptibility to frame rust but usually it was only on rigs that lived on salted roads or on the beach...but not always.  There was actually a recall and lawsuits and many of these trucks were repaired by Toyota, but that's long past.  I do not know the root cause.  The Tacoma wreck I bought for my engine/trans swap came out of WV, and it was rusted almost through on the right rear frame member.  My wife also has a 99 4Runner, and its pristine and solid, no rust at all.  One of our members had an unbelievable experience where someone had hidden the rust by filling it with "great stuff" expanding foam and finishing it to look like painted metal.  It was a death trap that fortunately didnt kill anyone.

If there is real rust damage, blasting and resealing is not going to do much except hide it.  That said, Mickey Christian (a former member of this club) does dustless blasting out of Athens.  His number is 256-508-7254.

If your current rust-bucket has a good motor without excessive miles, the engine/trans and electronics may be worth more than the whole rusted rig.  The 5VZ-FE engine and R-150 transmission on these trucks is very bulletproof.  The auto trans is somewhat less so, and less desirable, but still good.

If you want some pics posted, PM me some links and I can post them.  We restrict posting pictures to club members.

Hope this is helfpul...
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
545cubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 545cubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 6:52pm
Unfortunately I do not have the time or resources to do all the do-it-yourself jobs that I want done on the truck and was hoping for advice on where I could take the truck to have this done. I could probably handle the bumper but not the lift or alignment.

As for the rust on the original truck, it is too far gone to repair and economically not worth it. Too bad because I only have 130k miles on the engine and transmission. The one I purchased has minimal rust and basically wanting to have that media blasted and coated to prevent any further rusting. The truck is headed back to Florida and near the beach so rust is a big factor and trying to "rust-proof" as much as possible before sending it down.

Thanks for the excellent input
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic