Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Bronco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Bronco
    Posted: 20 April 2019 at 10:26am
Interesting, all electric, with a 5 speed transmission, a transfer case, and solid axles.  Hmmm....

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 3:44am
190 mile range at what speed? It would flat out suck to be stuck off road because the batteries died. For that price, I'd need at least 60 hours of continuous ops. Interesting concept, though. Especially with a stick shift.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by CJ7OX CJ7OX wrote:

It would flat out suck to be stuck off road because the batteries died. For that price, I'd need at least 60 hours of continuous ops. Interesting concept, though. Especially with a stick shift.

Most of the electric vehicles that are non-hybrid have a range somewhere around 200 miles.  Some are getting upwards of 300.  This one has no regenerative braking AFAIK, which further limits the range.  Imagine running Black Bear Pass - you'd probably be fully charged when you got off the trail!

For me, a rig like this would require a goodly-sized generator strapped in the cargo area, and a couple gallons of gas to run it.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 2:52pm
Another Ford tidbit this time from Slashdot:
Ford is investing $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian, saying the two companies will work together to develop a new battery plug-in vehicle for Ford. CNN reports: Company executives said Ford will still move ahead with its own electric vehicle development efforts, including a plug-in version of the Ford F-150 pickup. They said the vehicle it will develop with Rivian will be an addition to its future lineup. Ford has announced plans to spend $11 billion transforming the company in coming years, including a move toward electric and self-driving vehicles. It said Wednesday that this $500 million investment is in addition to that $11 billion effort. It also said the joint effort with Rivian is in addition to Ford's plans to work with Volkswagen to develop a number of vehicles, including electric ones.

Rivian has yet to start production of its electric trucks. Its first vehicle, a high-end electric pickup truck with planned range of more than 400 miles on a single charge, will be available in late 2020, the company says. Rivian has nevertheless attracted significant investment from many deep-pocket investors, including a $700 million investement from Amazon announced in February.

BRC Life Member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 12:07pm
This is really engaging. 

At around 3.5 minutes, the sales guy starts talking about the offroad capabilities of these vehicles.  Think about lockers...and how much better it would be having a separately controllable motor with something like 200 ft lbs of torque at each wheel.  And independent suspension allowing almost limitless articulation.  And it will ford up to 3 feet, and that is only limited by the buoyancy of the body...the vehicle starts to lose traction beyond 3 feet deep in water!  And it will tow 11,000 lbs, limited not by the available power but the strength of the body and frame.  Range is 400 miles.

BRC Life Member
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 12:24pm
Towing range is 400 miles a day??? That would take forever to get to Silverton...We do it now it 2 to 2.5 days. That would put us at 3.75 days. I'm going to need them to add solar panels to the top of the truck, so it can continuously charge. LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by 78CJChic 78CJChic wrote:

Towing range is 400 miles a day??? That would take forever to get to Silverton...We do it now it 2 to 2.5 days. That would put us at 3.75 days. I'm going to need them to add solar panels to the top of the truck, so it can continuously charge. LOL

Yep, this is the big complaint with EVs.  And its not 400 miles per day, its 400 miles per charge, but I dont know that they stated how long a full charge from empty takes.  Usually its several hours, but its certainly longer than a fill-up at Mapco.

Long trips in a tue plug-in EV are not really doable.  And it would take some huge solar arrays to do much charging for you, like an acre.  This is the thing about solar panels, they just arent that efficient/effective yet.  Maybe someday.

BRC Life Member
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:19am
Solar is not the answer to cars in my opinion. Any year now Mr. Fusion should be out. Imagine running on banana peels and empty beer cans. Then comes the hover conversions.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:30am
Oooh boy, this is gonna be a sharp stick in the eye of many greenies (from Slashdot):
Driving an electric vehicle in Germany produces more CO2 emissions than driving a diesel vehicle, a new study claims. schwit1 quotes the Brussels Times: When CO2 emissions linked to the production of batteries and the German energy mix -- in which coal still plays an important role -- are taken into consideration, electric vehicles emit 11% to 28% more than their diesel counterparts, according to the study, presented at the Ifo Institute in Munich.

Mining and processing the lithium, cobalt and manganese used for batteries consume a great deal of energy... The CO2 given off to produce the electricity that powers such vehicles also needs to be factored in, they say. When all these factors are considered, each Tesla emits 156 to 180 grams of CO2 per kilometre, which is more than a comparable diesel vehicle produced by the German company Mercedes, for example.

Instead the study suggests "Natural gas combustion engines are the ideal technology for transitioning to vehicles powered by hydrogen or 'green' methane in the long term."

BRC Life Member
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:21am
And that doesn't take in to account the effects on the environment used battery disposal has. LOL
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic