Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a cheap jeep Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a cheap jeep Cherokee
    Posted: 15 March 2022 at 9:51pm
Hey all, I'm not officially a member, but I went on the cleanup ride last year and had a blast. I was the offroading first timer in that funny looking Isuzu.

The vehicross handled the "easy" trail better than I had hoped, but even that was a little too much abuse to put my baby through, being as rare as they are parts are expensive and hard to come by. 

But a buddy of mine has let his 1999 XJ sit for a couple years and needed it out of the yard as he has no time or money to get it running again. He offered it to me for 500, I countered with 300 and he accepted. My father is a retired expert mechanic and will help me get it roadworthy asap. 

Here are the details on it. It is bone stock completely unmodified, and was running and driving when parked 2 or 3 years ago. 
1999 limited 4 door, 4.0, auto, 225k miles. Has what he claimed was a desirable transfer case with a full time 4wd option. Was in a minor accident and the front bumper is bent on the drivers side, drivers fender is also damaged. Paint is peeling is spots and has minimal surface rust in those spots. No rot or through-rust. 

I still dont know whether I want to build it into a trail rig and get serious with the club, or perhaps sell it to a more serious offroader as a very good base for a sweet custom build. Would love some advice from the good folks here. 

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 5:43am
Build it! A locked cherokee on 35s will go on pretty much any of the trails the club rides. 33s work to but you drag more. Cherokees and 1st gen 4runners are about as cheap as it gets for a good capable trail rig. Theres tons of aftermarket stuff out there including a lot of build it yourself kits. 

I have a parts xj if you need anything. I think I also have a set of 15x8 and 15x10 wheels that'll fit. Just black steel wheels. 
Ace View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 6:46am
I agree with John. Looks like a good platform to start building a good offroad toy.
03 Rubicon,6.1 Hemi,37" BFG Krawlers, custom suspension by Griffin Specialty Industries
Ace View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 6:47am
I have to admit, I would prefer to see the Vehicross on 40"s.
03 Rubicon,6.1 Hemi,37" BFG Krawlers, custom suspension by Griffin Specialty Industries
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 8:59am
All you need is a cheap lift. Longarm is better but the drop brackets for the front end works well. A few companies make them. Don't use blocks on the rear, find a kit that uses replacement full leaf packs. Forget drop brackets for the transfer case. Just go ahead and get a SYE. I have used both 33s and 35s on them. Either works fine but 35s look better and perform a bit better. Look at your rear end. If you have a Chrysler 8.25 you are fine. A dana 35 will work but it somewhat sucks but will get you by for the meantime. It looks pretty nice. I still love the XJ. reliable 6 cylinder, jap transmission and lots of cargo space. 
1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Recon Recon wrote:

All you need is a cheap lift. Longarm is better but the drop brackets for the front end works well. A few companies make them. Don't use blocks on the rear, find a kit that uses replacement full leaf packs. Forget drop brackets for the transfer case. Just go ahead and get a SYE. I have used both 33s and 35s on them. Either works fine but 35s look better and perform a bit better. Look at your rear end. If you have a Chrysler 8.25 you are fine. A dana 35 will work but it somewhat sucks but will get you by for the meantime. It looks pretty nice. I still love the XJ. reliable 6 cylinder, jap transmission and lots of cargo space. 

What John said. Here's my Cherokee with a Rusty's 4.5 inch longarm lift.

Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
VXDan View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the input so far. Attempted to start it up today. While it did start, it was evident that either the head is cracked or the gasket is blown. Immediately upon starting, the cooling system pressurized and fluid was being forced out of the radiator fill.  Going to pull the head this weekend and go from there. 

The good news is that she cleaned up easy, and looks better than expected other than peeling paint in a few spots, mostly on the roof. 

VXDan View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 10:48pm
Before pic:

83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 5:47am
My money is on a blown head gasket but it could have a cracked head. Make sure you have some help lifting that had off. A 4.0 head is pretty heavy. 
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 6:21am
The stock head bolts can be reused once. That will save some money. Guaranteed that the stock manifold is cracked in several places so count on buying a new one. The only slightly less common tools I can think you need are a 13mm deep well 12 point socket. A large 1/2 inch torque wrench and a 1/4 inch torque wrench. Fuel line disconnect tool. 83K10, John G, is correct. the head sucks to remove and set yourself so a friend will be helpful. I have had good luck with felpro head gaskets holding well. You said 99 model. Does it has a coil pack or a distributor? I think it cleaned up great!
1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 6:23am
I am stuck on constant overtime lately but if you need help let me know and I can help in the evenings some.
1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
VXDan View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 11:47am
It has a distributor. Luckily my father is an ex mechanic and has pretty much every tool under the sun. I've also planned on using an engine hoist to lift the head out, I figured it would be pretty dang heavy. I'll update this weekend when I get it pulled off.  

Thanks for the input, it's definitely a huge help
VXDan View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:56pm
Head is off. Does not appear to be cracked, head gasket is blown out in a couple places, mostly between #3 and #4. Going to have the head cleaned up and more thoroughly checked for cracks, and then resurfaced this week.

Bad news, pictured below are the pushrods for the #4 cylinder. I am assuming that cylinder was full of coolant and the valves couldn't open. Will have to check to make sure the camshaft isn't damaged. 

Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 8:43am
Hopefully the rod is alright. Do the bores visually look ok like not pitted or scored? Glad you got the project started.
1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
VXDan View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VXDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Recon Recon wrote:

Hopefully the rod is alright. Do the bores visually look ok like not pitted or scored? Glad you got the project started.

The bores look good, but the exhaust lobe on that cylinder is compromised so a new cam is in order. My dad convinced me to just pull the whole short block and have the cylinders honed, possibly turn the crank, and install new rings and bearings, and main seals. Also going to mill the head to make sure it's flat.

Pretty much going to be a fresh engine, it's torn down so much already that it's really not much more effort to go all the way. With 230k miles, probably the smartest decision. Luckily we have access to a machine shop and can do all the necessary machine work at no labor cost. Only the cost of parts. I should still be all in on this thing for less than a grand.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic